Article Score0

I was staying with my aunt, she owns her home. Someone stole my portable safe with cash in it. I filed a police report, the safe was found but was empty. The police have suspects but no arrests have been made. It has been over 6 months. Will her insurance cover my money?

7 Thoughts on Will home owner’s insurance cover?
  1. Reply
    July 28, 2011 at 5:47 am

    it depends on how her insurence policy was written, every policy is different

  2. Reply
    July 28, 2011 at 5:50 am

    Can you verify someway the amount stolen? It’s going to be tough to get cash back without somekind of proof the cash was actually stolen. Good luck.

  3. Reply
    Jerry H
    July 28, 2011 at 6:38 am

    1st you would have to defined as an insured under her policy, maybe,maybe not.
    2nd HO policies usually don’t cover mysterious disapearance, was there evidence of forced entry?
    3rd If covered, most HO policies only cover up to a certain limit for currency (usually $ 500)

  4. Reply
    July 28, 2011 at 6:48 am

    Depends if you would be considered a resident in her home or if you were just visiting. If you are a resident then her insurance would most likely be the first place you would go for a claim as they would consider you an insured. If you were visiting then your homeowners or renters insurance would be primary. There will be limitations as to what is covered and how much. You will also have a deductible. So you might want to think twice about submitting a claim. If the coverage only provides say $ 500 for cash or that is all you had in the safe and she has a $ 1,000 deductible there would be no reason to submit a claim as your deductible exceeds the cash value.

  5. Reply
    July 28, 2011 at 7:03 am

    Well first there is an issue of whether or not you were a guest in the house or not.

    If you are paying rent then her HO policy will not cover you.

    If you are short term guest, it might pay a little.

    Then there is the problem of coverage of stolen items.

    In most cases, cash has a low coverage limit, if it is covered at all.

    An insurer is going to be extremely skeptical of any claim of cash being stolen because of the extreme likelihood of fraudulent claims.

  6. Reply
    July 28, 2011 at 7:14 am

    Depends on the terms on which you were “staying” with your aunt. If you are a household resident, ie, you were LIVING with her, then yes – subject to the policy limits, which is usually either $ 100 for cash, or $ 200 for cash. If you were just visiting, then no.

    Assuming she has a standard HO3 policy form, which includes theft.

  7. Reply
    July 28, 2011 at 7:23 am

    no, you are not a named insured and it looks fishy because it occured 6 months ago on top of that, the policy would only cover a small amount of money being in the household

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password