Article Score0

We lived in an apartment complex where an accident happened, the pipe in the attic burst resulting to massive flooding in our unit. We need to move to a nearby unit within the same apartment complex because our unit was no longer habitable. Expenses for (a) moving services by a local moving company; and (b) fees for the transfer of utility services were incurred.

Can we ask the apartment management for cover these expenses?

5 Thoughts on Who is responsible for paying some expenses in an unplanned move due to accident in the apartment complex?
  1. Reply
    Mopar Muscle Gal
    March 12, 2013 at 8:55 pm

    they might
    also contact your renters insurance company

  2. Reply
    March 12, 2013 at 9:31 pm

    No, your renters insurance covers your costs, not the landlords.

  3. Reply
    the kid
    March 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm

    They should, as their pipe burst causing you to move.

  4. Reply
    March 12, 2013 at 10:00 pm

    Call your insurance, you don’t have insurance. Don’t blame the landlord for an accident. Unless the landlord or someone from his staff was working on the pipe, I don’t see how is his fault. Even if you have insurance you are going to have a tuff time getting one that covers floods. Every time we move someone in the house I ask them you want to get insurance or not? As soon as someone brakes in, a pipe is loose, or the roof is blown ( happen last year in a house I own in Texas ). Tenant will call me with the following question, what are you going to do about my possessions? Am going to to whatever it takes to secure the place, you call your insurance and they will help you or place you in a hotel while the house is ready.
    People get insurance, we as landlords are not required to help you with nothing. You pay your rent, we let you stay.

  5. Reply
    Classy Granny
    March 12, 2013 at 10:29 pm

    Those fees would all be covered by your renters insurance

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password