Article Score0

If a tenant is “not that bright” and starts smoking in bed, or leaves their dryer on and forgets about it, then one of those two things ends up burning my house, would i be covered under my insurance assuming that i have full coverage?
also, are small fires covered? If they burn just their kitchen, will i be able to claim the money to repair that portion of the house?

Is it “neglect” even if it wasn’t me, but my tenant who neglectfully burned down my house?

I ask this because i just purchased a house and both of my tenants have children. They’re always running around and i just dont trust them. If their kids, or even they themselves, damaged my house in fire, or any other damage, would it be covered?

6 Thoughts on What types of fires are covered by homeowners insurance?
  1. Reply
    Neil Stamp
    January 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

    if you have landlord insurance then you should be ok but if you have ordinary homeowner insurance you may have problems. Best contact your insurers and check

  2. Reply
    Eric Kuso
    January 1, 2013 at 7:24 pm

    If you’re renting your house out to someone, and they burn down your house by, say, smoking, your ensurance company is going to pay you your ensurance, but since it was the person you’re renting your house out to who burned it down by smoking, the ensurance company is going to sqeeze the money they paid you out of the tenant, since smoking indoor is not covered by ensurances.

    Ofcourse, this may vary from encurance to ensurance and ensurance company to ensurnace company, but as a basis, that’s how it is.

  3. Reply
    January 1, 2013 at 7:28 pm

    Hostile fires are covered. A hostile fire, is one that escapes it’s confines, and/or burns or damages something you didn’t want burned or damage.

    That means, stupidity of tenants is covered.

    Arson by the insured, not covered.

    HOWEVER. If you have HOMEOWNERS insurance, and your home is actually occupied by a TENANT, you could have a problem. The POINT of a homeowners policy, is that the property is occupied by the OWNER of the home. Hopefully, you actually have dwelling fire coverage on the premises, NOT homeowners.

    Normal wear and tear by the tenants is NOT covered.

  4. Reply
    Common Sense
    January 1, 2013 at 7:37 pm

    You need to ask your insurance agent.

  5. Reply
    January 1, 2013 at 7:45 pm


    You need a rental dwelling policy, not a homeowners policy. A RD policy will cover the building and limited contents such as flooring, appliances, ceiling fans and cabinets. You will also have liability coverage in the event you are named in a negligent case that your tenants have actually caused.

    Next, since your tenants have absolutely no protection for their contents while living in your home, they will need to purchase a renters policy. Here’s the important part….their policy will also cover liability in the event they cause harm to your home during a negligent act such as the ones you described.

    Two policies needed here for two very different types of coverage. As a landlord myself, I always require my tenants have renters insurance and would never rent to someone who didn’t.

  6. Reply
    January 1, 2013 at 8:01 pm

    If the home is occupied by tenants, then homeowner’s insurance does not cover any fires, or anything else. Homeowner’s insurance only covers things if the home is occupied only by the owner and the owner’s family, and not by anyone else, especially tenants.

    The only type of insurance that covers fires in a house with tenants is landlord’s (rental dwelling) insurance.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password