4 Thoughts on What happens when tenants got injured due to earthquake when there is only normal homeowner insurance?
  1. Reply
    November 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm

    i don’t remember the last earthquake in Cali in a while, but you being a tenant, you accept all associated risks living a apartment, condo, or other combined dwelling unit.
    you really need to talk to your insurance people to give
    you the true facts.

  2. Reply
    November 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm

    Your first avenue of coverage should be your health insurance plan or if not insured some sort of government health insurance plan.

    There is a small piece of homeowner’s coverage that can cover medical payments (but it is always very small), but that is usually in connection with some sort of liability trigger.

    An earthquake, certainly, would not trigger that coverage.

  3. Reply
    November 8, 2011 at 7:34 pm

    This would depend on the insurance the homeowner has. If personal injury is included, then you may be able to get something but, if the injury is directly only related to the earthquake, then you may be out of pocket.

    I suggest you speak with the homeowner to get the information you need. If the homeowner is unwilling to speak with you, you should send a registered letter asking for the information (ie. insurance etc). If that fails, you might consider legal action however, you may not be entitled to a claim.

    As a renter, I suggest that you obtain renter’s insurance which includes earthquake and other natural disaster coverage. Good luck!

  4. Reply
    November 8, 2011 at 7:47 pm

    If the tenant has health insurance, they can use it to pay for injuries. Landlords are NOT liable.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password