Article Score0

It also has 60 amp circutry, which I know needs to be updated before we can get the insurance, but I am totall unfamiliar with the whole knob and tube bit. I know it is old, but that is all I know for sure.

5 Thoughts on We want to buy a home with knob and tube wiring.Will we be able to get insurance with that type of wiring?
  1. Reply
    Valley R
    August 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm

    Hire a professional home inspector … the seller will be required to update the electical before selling the property.

  2. Reply
    August 3, 2011 at 11:02 pm

    i am sure you will be able to get insurance. it may be at a higher rate but i am sure you can get it.

  3. Reply
    August 3, 2011 at 11:18 pm

    Some friends just recently did the same thing. Their insurance company made them replace the wiring before they’d write a policy. You might be able to shop around for a “we insure everybody” company, but be prepared to pay up the wazoo.

  4. Reply
    August 3, 2011 at 11:43 pm

    You’re going to have a really, really hard time. Your best bet, is to hire the contractor in advance, and beg the insurance company to give you 30 days to get the wiring fixed. And get the wiring replaced and the box replaced, within that first 30 days.

    Better yet, have part of the sale conditions with the current owner, that they rewire the house and replace the box, with a minimum 120 amp system and wiring up to code.

    Even high risk carriers like Foremost have a hard time wiht 60 amp circuitry.

  5. Reply
    August 3, 2011 at 11:49 pm

    I would get a licensed electricial contractor (maybe 3) to give you an estimate on rewiring the entire house and bringing it to up to date code… then add at least 10% to that and ask for an amount equal to or greater than as a discount/allowance. If you have to take care of it yourself, you should be compensated for the inconvienience of it and enjoy the equity the investment brings. Good luck.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password