Article Score0

My dad rents out this one house, and the lady who lives in it burnt it down, who has to pay for the damages: my dad or the people who live there??


9 Thoughts on The rented house burnt down?
  1. Reply
    April 6, 2013 at 7:46 pm

    You dad should have insurance.

  2. Reply
    April 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm

    Every homeowner is required to have home owner’s insurance. Therefore, whatever amount your dad had the house insured for is the amount that will be paid, anything else will come out of your dad’s pocket. Having said that, the people who were renting will not be able to get any money for damage to their personal property from your dad since it was not his responsibility. This is why renters often purchase renters insurance in case their rental property is broken into, things get stolen or in case of accidents such as fire or flood. If they didn’t have renters insurance that’s really their tough luck.
    To recap, your dad will get money from the insurance company for whatever amount he insured the home for, unless he didn’t have insurance which would have been a huge mistake, because then he lost everything. The renters get whatever amount they insured their property for with renters insurance or get nothing if they didn’t have renters insurance.
    Sorry to hear this happened and best of luck to you.

  3. Reply
    April 6, 2013 at 8:53 pm

    idk your dad

  4. Reply
    April 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm

    Your dad because with insurance which should be covered in the rent payment charges.

  5. Reply
    April 6, 2013 at 10:25 pm

    The dwelling should have insurance to cover it. The tenant should have renters’ insurance to cover their contents. Your Dad is not responsible for their belongings. If they caused the fire, the insurance company may come after them.

  6. Reply
    April 6, 2013 at 10:58 pm

    I am betting Dad did not have any insurance but if he did then they will have to pay. Was it accidentally burned down or on purpose?

  7. Reply
    April 6, 2013 at 11:24 pm

    Your father pays for everything with the house itself. The tenant pays for any damage to her possessions. Both have insurance to pay this, or at least should.

  8. Reply
    Classy Granny
    April 6, 2013 at 11:41 pm

    It’s your father’s property. He should have homeowners insurance. If your dad can prove that the lady who lived set the fire he might want to try suing her.

  9. Reply
    April 7, 2013 at 12:11 am

    Dad’s homeowners insurance should pay for the damages. If the tenant burnt it down intentionally, then the homeowners insurance company MIGHT have some ability to legally go after the tenant, but thats not your dad’s issue.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password