Article Score0

In July 2000, my mother and grandmother purchased a townhouse for $ 93,000. In order for my mother to quality for the loan, the loan officer at the bank recommended that my mother included my grandmother’s SSI income, which she did and eventually qualified for the loan. For the next 6 years, my mother paid the mortgage payment and in early January, 2006, my grandmother lost her battle with ovarian cancer and died.
Eight months later after my grandmother’s death, my mother and I received a letter from State of Washington, Department of Social and Health Services, stating a potential interest in our property to satisfy medical assistance that was provided to my grandmother over the years in the amount of $ 195,478.48.
My mother decided to hire an attorney that promised to resolve this matter and she paid him $ 2,000.00 dollars but he eventually end up asking for more money and she paid him additional $ 2,000.00 dollars, he gave up on the case and asked for more money.
Last week, we received a letter from State of Washington (DSHS) stating that if the amount is not fully paid by 02/28/2009, they may possibly enforce sale of the property and/or foreclosure.
Since my mother and grandmother are both on the title and mortgage, my mother has always been listed as the primary holder of the property.
I don’t know how else to help my mother. She was basically robbed by this Russian attorney. And the reason she went to a Russian attorney was because she doesn’t speak English fluently and he was licensed to practice law in state of Washington.
After 8 years, the property is not even worth the requested balance by DSHS. What initiatives can my mother take to dispute the DSHS? My mother is ready to abandon the property and have it go under foreclosure. Any advice would be really appreciated.

3 Thoughts on State of Washington is attempting to evict my mother from a property she owns. Can they do that?
  1. Reply
    December 23, 2011 at 4:24 am

    It was a mistake to include you grandmother, that gives her equity, and as she owes money, that equity is fair game.

    As for attorneys, I will remind you of the old joke.

    Q.) Why don’t sharks ever attack lawyers?

    A.) Professional courtesy.

    It isn’t worth considering suing an attorney.

    Good luck…

  2. Reply
    December 23, 2011 at 4:54 am

    I am confused at to the ‘satisfy medical assistance that was provided to you Grandmother”.. was this a bill..? your grandmothers I am assuming was medical assistance from the state.? I was not aware that they could come back on a person that has passed and ask for it back..?

    Is this letter true or a fake..?

  3. Reply
    Mama Pastafarian
    December 23, 2011 at 4:57 am

    When grandmother’s name was put on the property, she became the owner of the property, along with your mother. Since your grandmother received public funds for her health care, the state wants her property and assets to be used to pay for that health care.

    There is no “primary” owner of the property. The two are considered to each own the property equally.

    The state’s view is why should the residents of the state pay for her health care when she had assets that could be used for that health care? It’s not nice, but it’s the law.

    Your mother might be able to exempt half the value of the property, but she will need to pay at least half the value to the state for your grandmother’s health care.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password