Article Score0

I have just returned to the country after working overseas and gotten my credit report. It is awful. There are mistakes and perhaps a few things that are correct. All were based on emergency surgery I had with no health insurance. My story may be worse than some and better than others. Regardless, I need help getting it corrected. I know that there are many companies out there, some that are good and some that are not. I am hoping there are some individuals who can guide me towards the good ones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

7 Thoughts on Please help. I am hoping someone can advice me on some good credit repair companies/attorneys.?
  1. Reply
    June 10, 2011 at 12:51 am

    There is no such thing as a “credit repair” company.The BEST thing to do is to contact the 3 credit reporting agencies,and file YOUR OWN dispute.

  2. Reply
    Laissez-Faire Guy
    June 10, 2011 at 1:41 am

    First regarding the mistakes. Just dispute those directly with the 3 big credit bureaus. If you pulled your reports, they should have info on how to dispute them on the reports. They’ll contact the creditors and ask them to prove they are legitimate and correct. If not, off they go.

    Second, I would not recommend credit repair companies period. For any unpaid debts that are legitimate, contact whoever holds the debt now. That too should be on your credit report. Tell them your story and and work out a deal. Maybe they’ll take less than owed. However, never and I mean NEVER pay one penny to them unless you have it in writing exactly what you are supposed to pay and when, and when the debt will be considered paid and reported to the credit bureaus that way.

  3. Reply
    June 10, 2011 at 2:03 am

    you should call the credit bureau’s and find out what is all so bad on there, and then pay them, it will take 7 year for it to come off, but the least you can do is pay them asap

  4. Reply
    G A
    June 10, 2011 at 2:38 am

    I agree with the person who said they do not reccommend credit reapir companies, but there are some companies which may be of benefit to you. Those that provide “credit counseling” services may be able to help you in consolidating your payments and reducing your interest rates. Assuming you can afford to make the monthly payments to such a company (I definitely reccommend exploring this as I have personal experience here), which will typically charge you a minimal monthly fee on a “per creditor” basis, you may find it useful to go through one of these companies as it can greatly simplify the process and your own paperwork, and typically, your savings in interest that these companies can negotiate for you on your behalf will be well worth the fees you pay to them on a monthly basis. If there are lots of errors, though, those you will find easier and less costly to dispute yourself. Get a copy of your credit reports, and get to work on that right away. Save the credit counseling service for “what to do with what I still genuinely owe”. You may find it beneficial to have your credit report in front of you when you call a credit counseling service. I’d like to highly reccomend the one I used, which was American Consumer Credit Counseling, information about which can be found here:

    Again, though, STAY AWAY from any company offering credit repair services. Credit is repaired only by doing one thing, and that is this: PAYING BILLS ON TIME. Do this, and a few years from now, your credit will be looking pretty good.

  5. Reply
    June 10, 2011 at 3:11 am

    Contact your local credit counseling agency-this will always be a non profit group in your area. SOme request donations others charge a fee based on your ability to pay. DO not go to anyone who promises to fix your report-they cant do it but they will take your money and make your problem worse. If you ahd the surger and you owe the money call the creditor who bought your debt and work out a flat fee payment-this allows you to pay one negotiated payment in exchange for wiping out the entire amount-for instance if you owe $ 1,000 offer $ 565 put your offer in writing and fax it to someone. If they are not willing to work with you put that in writing and mail it certified. to the address on the report with the reference number. Always refer to the reference numbers-if you send a fax print a confirmation page to go with the letter. if you mail it keep the certified slip with the letter. THis way if they try to garnish your wages you will have proof that you attempted to make a reasonable settlement with them and most likely they will respond that they are refusing your offer. Dont pay anyone with a check-use a money order so that you have irrefutable proof regardless of whether or not your bank account closes.

    THe mistakes should be simpler depending on what they are. The documentation process is the same and the reference number should be everywhere. Write each letter explicitly stating the following ” i expect a response within 30 days or I will consider this matter to be resolved.”

    I hope this helps

  6. Reply
    stew w
    June 10, 2011 at 3:24 am

    If you are caught in the debt trap, you need the services of credit counseling agencies. These agencies assist people who are burdened by debt. They are staffed by experts who have a thorough knowledge of financial management

  7. Reply
    judy b
    June 10, 2011 at 4:17 am

    i done it myself. ceck equafax out they have three in one credit monitoring helped me a lot

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password