Article Score0

my boyfriend and I and a mutual friend all live together in a house that my parents own. We all pay the same amount and since my parents don’t live here it’s my job to take care of it and make sure all the rent is collected on time. There is no written agreement (lease) between any of us and my parents. Anyway the mutual friend that lives here, has been in and out of work for the last 3 months. Has been late on his rent since he has moved in.. I told him that if he can’t make rent i will kick him out and he has no where else to go. Things have started going missing from the house, money, tools, cell phones…ect..- My parents told me to kick him out, my boyfriend and I want him out, so what is the policy for that. Can I just kick him out and change the locks or do I have to give him notice or what not. If I give him notice, I am worried he will trash the place or do something to my dogs while I am at work or steal more of our stuff. Which by the way we had to buy a lock for our room!!

1 Thought on need advice on landlord/tenant policy?
  1. Reply
    David B
    August 16, 2011 at 3:48 am

    Whether the individual has any rights in the house depends on your local landlord-tenant law. Different localities have different laws.

    In some, such as New York, assuming he has lived in the house for more than 30 days, you would have to go to court to evict him.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password