5 Thoughts on My son is a college student and has made 10,000. I paid over half of his living expenses. Can I claim him ?
  1. Reply
    March 20, 2013 at 4:15 am

    Yes, you SHOULD be able to claim him. The two of you should check your respective returns and see which approach gets the two of you the most refund total. It’s hard to understand how he could have made that much and you still provide more than half his living expenses, but that’s YOUR business. It would seem, from the fact that you paid that much, that you are entitled to claim him.

  2. Reply
    Kelly D
    March 20, 2013 at 4:52 am

    I believe the rule is that if they have lived with you 6 months out of the year and you have provided at least 51% of their care and support you can claim them. It’s been a couple years since I have done taxes and the laws change every year. You can call any local tax agency and ask them. They would be sure to know all the newest regulations and be able to help you =0)

  3. Reply
    March 20, 2013 at 4:53 am


  4. Reply
    March 20, 2013 at 5:36 am

    As long as your son is a full time student, lived with you for at least six months of the year (except for temporary absences such as being at school), and is under the age of 24, you should be able to claim him as a dependent on your federal income tax return.

  5. Reply
    March 20, 2013 at 6:28 am

    as a qualifying child, attending full time school not yet reached age 24 is eligible to be claimed if he lived with you 6 months(and living away at college is living at home) and you provided more than 50% of his support
    if he makes this kind of money, if he is paying for his own living quarters, that would eliminate the ‘away at college’ since living in dorms or college housing would be considered the temporary away from home qualification
    his paying his own rent more than likely he doesn’t come home for holidays and summer
    and what are you considering living expenses?
    support as is required is his % of the rent(mortgage, of the home) property tax, insurance, repairs, utilities, phone, food, clothing, entertainment and transportation
    if you are able to claim him, he will file his own return on his $ 10000 income and be allowed his standard deduction of $ 5700, with the remainder taxable, and the lowest rate is 10%

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password