5 Thoughts on is my home insurance still valid if i have moved out of the house months ago and my son is still living there.?
  1. Reply
    February 28, 2014 at 7:05 am

    it very much depends on the policy you hold and the state you live in. I know in canada my father had no choice but to sell a house in one province because he didnt have a relative living in it. However in the rest of the provinces it either didnt matter or had to be the person themselves

  2. Reply
    February 28, 2014 at 7:24 am

    When you say you “have not informed them of the change of circumstances”, what do you mean? The reason you purchase home insurance is to protect you, the home owner, against loss of property should there be a fire, flood, natural disaster, etc.

    In your case, one needs to know if there has been any transfer of ownership. If you had sold the house to your son and he now owns the house, ie. has legal title to it, I would think your home insurance would no longer be valid, since the policy would have been in your name. If you still own the house, and your son is just living there as part of the family, your home insurance should still be valid. Hope this helps.

  3. Reply
    February 28, 2014 at 7:28 am

    Homeowners insurance covers the home for the owner who resides in the home. Once the owner has moved out, the risk has drastically changed. Failing to report this change in risk can result in denial of a claim, cancellation of a policy or, at the very least, a hard time dealing with your insurance company when a claim occurs.

    You have an obligation to report changes in risk. Your contract is very clear about that.

    Now, that you know, you’ll need to contact them so that they may re-write the contract to match the risk. It’s now a tenant (regardless if rent is being paid) occupied home and needs to be written as such. The tenant (your son, again regardless if rent is being paid) has no coverage for his contents and the new policy will have VERY limited coverage for the contents. So, your son will need to purchase a tenant (Renters) policy to cover his contents and potential liability.

  4. Reply
    Caveat Emptor
    February 28, 2014 at 7:28 am

    No. Homeowner”s policies are for owner-occupied houses. You need to change your coverage to a tenant occupied house. Doesn’t matter if the tenant is your son and whether or not he pays rent.

  5. Reply
    February 28, 2014 at 7:48 am

    It depends on what type of policy you have.

    On the typical HO3 form, the owner of the policy must be living in the house. You COULD be looking at some automatic coverage suspensions, and of course, your son and HIS liability and “stuff” isn’t covered at all.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password