3 Thoughts on Is damage from hurricanes mainly “flood” and so not covered by most insurance policies?
  1. Reply
    amy lynn
    March 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm

    There can also be wind damage, which usually would be covered.

    If you live in an area with high risk of flooding, then flood insurance is usually required.

    When a disaster is bad enough to cause flooding in areas that are not normally rated as “high risk for flood”, then the government usually creates assistance programs to help the families affected. Of course with all the talks of FEMA cut backs and lack of funding, Hopefully, there will be help for people who didn’t have flood coverage.

  2. Reply
    March 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm

    Damage that is “flood” is covered by flood insurance.

    Damage from hurricanes Sandy and Katrina was mainly flood and is not covered by homeowner’s or renter’s insurance.

    Damage from most other hurricanes was mainly “wind” and is covered by homeowner’s insurance.

    Basically, if the the surface of the water comes up above something, and submerges it, that’s flood, and is only covered by flood insurance, and not by any other insurance.

    If something is above the high water mark, but gets wet because your roof blows off and the rain comes in, that’s covered by homeowner’s or renter’s insurance.

    If something is above the high water mark, but gets damaged by a falling tree, lightning strike, or anything else hurricane-related, except water, then it’s not “flood” and it is covered by insurance.

  3. Reply
    Just Me
    March 22, 2013 at 4:57 pm

    Flood insurance covers flood. Homeowners insurance NEVER covers flood.

    Keep in mind, flood does not just come from sudden rising waters or surges. Flood also occurs when torrential rains soak your home for an extended period of time. This can cause roof damage, damage to the walls and the very foundation. That is also considered flood and is also NOT covered by homeowners insurance.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password