Article Score0

It flooded while I was out of town.
How do I by law properly notify the landlord to pay for the clean up of the flood?
The landlord did come by and clean most of it up himself.
I am suing my landlord for not giving me more than $ 150 to pay for the additional clean up.

4 Thoughts on If the basement at my home floods: Do I have to put it in writing to get the landlord to pay for the clean up?
  1. Reply
    May 20, 2013 at 7:46 am

    Read your lease. All requests for repair must be made in writing, and you must be patient to allow the landlord plenty of time to respond. Some states allow the landlord up to 2 weeks to respond.

  2. Reply
    May 20, 2013 at 8:28 am

    You must contact the landlord immediately, and they may be responsible for the clean up, but if personal items were damaged during the flood, it may be something you must claim on your renter’s insurance.

  3. Reply
    Something Else
    May 20, 2013 at 9:08 am

    Landlord owes you nothing. You were responsible for clean up since you are the occupant. You could have put in a claim with your insurance company, that is what renter’s insurance is for.
    Toilet overflows and occupant responsible for clean up. Minor inconvenience of renting a house
    All requests for repairs MUST be put in writing and sent Certified Mail.

  4. Reply
    May 20, 2013 at 9:47 am

    In writing would not matter. There is no law forcing it.

    You will lose in court. You are not entitled to any money at all. If he agreed to give you 150 that is all you can sue for, in the event he does honor that.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password