I purchased a home several months ago. The night before closing, someone broke in & stole all of the copper.?
We did our final walk-through the day before and everything was fine an in working order. We showed up at closing the next day around 2:30 and finalized the paperwork. About 2 hours later, we arrived at our new home to find that someone broke in & stole all of the copper piping in the house. We were planning on moving in right away, so called to have a reputable plumber start the repairs a few days later. We paid around $ 20k out of pocket, basically using our money saved for the move & othe repairs. I’ve been battling w/ the 2 insurance companies to get reimbursed (mine & the previous owner’s). Claims are open for both companies. My insurance company says it should be on the previous owner’s company since the loss occurred prior to closing (neighbors saw cars in the driveway & lights on around 11 PM the night before). The previous owner’s company is saying that the loss wasn’t discovered until after we owned the property and therefore it should be mine that covers it. My company is being responsive, but the other company is not. Phone calls go straight to voicemail and 0 return calls. No answer to emails, etc. The only way we can get a hold of anyone is to “0 out” to the operator who forwards us to someone unfamiliar w/ the case that can only read what’s in the file (so getting very little info back and it just keeps dragging out). Is there clear line as to which company should be responsible for reimbursing us for the repairs? It’s been over 3 months and we still have not been able to move in and are carrying 2 mortgages/utilities. I’ve already filed a complaint w/ the PA Commonwealth against the othe company for not cooperating, and I really don’t want to hire an attornery and have this drag out for 2 more years. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
Yes, I have a police report, but it was from when I called them the evening after our closing. My company was considering covering it & going after them to get reimbursed, until we learned that the previous owners opened a claim also. Several weeks ago, my adjuster actually talked to teh adjuster from the other company(she randomly answered the operator and not the direct line) and she agreed that they should probably be responsible and was going to look into it further. However, she required that my company submit an official letter of denial stating that they’re not going to cover it. 3 weeks after they got the letter, they’re back to saying they’re not responsible. At this point, I really don’t care who covers it. I do have a Home Warranty that I purchased, but from what I’ve read, it doesn’t sound like it would be covered under that. I am going to look into the escrow option, but I doubt there’s enough in there to cover it. Thank you all for you