Article Score0

One of the cars is on behalf of my child and the other two cars are in my name.

6 Thoughts on I have. A car insurance policy for myself and 3 children In the event of an accident or the child is responsible for me?
  1. Reply
    Roland G
    March 19, 2013 at 12:40 am

    The way you ask the question suggests that you’re not really interested in the correct answer but rather try to calm down the inner voice in you.

    Hey, take it easy and RELAX! There are people who care about you, OK?

    Have a nice day!

  2. Reply
    March 19, 2013 at 1:38 am

    I don’t believe this information varies from state to state, but the easiest way to be sure would be to ask your insurance agent.

    A parent is held liable for the willful misconduct of their children under 18. Accidents are the responsibility of the minor, but they probably wouldn’t have to pay anything until they reached 18. If they are over 18, they are liable for their own actions either way.

    If you are worried about your kids doing something stupid that is going to hurt you financially, make them get their own policies.

  3. Reply
    March 19, 2013 at 1:59 am

    it depends on the occasion if you were drunk then you would be held responsible if you slid probably No

  4. Reply
    Alloy Boy
    March 19, 2013 at 2:19 am

    depends on who’s fault. If youre child causes the accident the it’s their fault and that’s what the insurance coverage is for.

  5. Reply
    March 19, 2013 at 3:08 am

    Rightfully the person who is at fault is responsible, but with insurance companies now using the percentage of fault formulas these days there is some leeway in the whole thing. But being that you are probably the one who pays the insurance bill it’s going to affect your wallet.

  6. Reply
    Kamikaze Kid
    March 19, 2013 at 3:20 am

    If I’m understanding this correctly you have an auto insurance policy covering three vehicles in your household. Two are in your name as the vehicle owner and one in your child’s name. Is your child 18 yrs or older?
    Regardless, you are the primary driver of two vehicles and your one child is the primary driver of the third vehicle.
    You are the policy holder and the three children are under your policy regardless of vehicle ownership.
    Therefore, should any child in your household get into an accident with their fault then you will be the one the other driver and their insurance company will go after.
    If you wish to lessen your financial responsibility you can have your +18 yr old child get a separate auto policy with only their name on the policy. If that child lets someone else drive their vehicle then they are responsible for the liability.
    Check with your insurance agent to make sure your policy is indeed covering all drivers in the household and inquire about getting your +18 yr old on a separate policy. You might find out it is cheaper for you this way.

    Leave a Reply to devo7887 Cancel reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password