Article Score0

I am in a rent-to-own contract and my drainage hose on my washing machine burst last night and flooded my laundry room and half of my kitchen. Is that something that the owner of the house can claim on her home-owner’s insurance to be able to have the floor replaced or will I be responsible? We just moved in so I have not had the chance to get renter’s insurance but last time I looked into it, I did not think it covered anything to do with the house itself, only our personal things inside the home in case of robbery.
So I do need to call her and ask her to make an insurance claim on this? None of our stuff was damaged. I am just concerned about the floor getting meldew.

4 Thoughts on How does home-owner’s insurance work on a rental?
  1. Reply
    September 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm

    You’re correct…the landlord’s policy should handle that and a renters insurance policy wouldn’t cover something like that.

  2. Reply
    Anne C
    September 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm

    Her insurance covers the repairs but not any of your personal belongings.

  3. Reply
    jonny j
    September 11, 2012 at 2:29 pm

    If it’s her machine, and has been properly maintained it should be covered. If it’s your machine, and she doesn’t have the proper insurance to cover loses due to a tenants actions, it won’t be covered (many private owners that rent their homes don’t bother getting the proper insurance).

    Just read Additional details…..nothing was damaged, and insurance doesn’t pay for possible future damage.

    You may want to get a Professional to dry the place out, but it probably will not be more than her deductible.

  4. Reply
    September 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm

    renters policies can cover this as can the home owners.

    all your stuff can be covered too.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password