Article Score0

We have about a month behind on our mortgage right after hurricane losses due to unemployment and my husband (his work was damaged) Ivan. We have our mortgage with Ameriquest. It had almost caught and they get twice the interest increases the monthly payment, which also accumulate late fees continue. We found two months late. I have to pay for the month plus an additional $ 100, but they have not applied to my mortgage. What should I do? And when things start they will refuse preforeclosure my monthly payment? BTW, I live in Florida. I do not want to lose our home. If we both retroactive payments and release can work on late fees, we can ok the mortgage payment.

12 Thoughts on How do I stop a foreclosure?
  1. Reply
    December 6, 2012 at 11:58 am

    Call and talk to a loan officer. They won’t foreclose without serving constructive notice of the pending foreclosure; and in most cases it is not to their advantage to foreclose at all if you are trying to work out the problems. I don’t believe in any case they can refuse to take a payment.

  2. Reply
    December 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

    Call a real estate attorney and see if there is anything he can do. He should talk with you for free. I would think these no good companies would work with you on this since it’s from the hurricane! Best Wishes and hope your holidays turn out happy!

  3. Reply
    December 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm

    Speak to them in person, call . . .
    Anything we put out would be guessing and a total waste of your time . . .
    you get on the phone with Ameriquest NOW . . .
    Only they have the answer you seek (or a qualified debt counselor which we are not)

  4. Reply
    December 6, 2012 at 12:26 pm

    Have you called and spoken with them yet? That is where you should have started long ago.

  5. Reply
    December 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm

    Sorry to hear of your problem. I would try and calling the company and work out some arrangement for the over due amount. But if you have an adjustable mortgage this is what can happen, interest rates go up and down. My be after you catch up then you can try a loan for a better rate. I hope you the best and a Merry Christmas.

  6. Reply
    December 6, 2012 at 1:59 pm

    You may want to see about getting a personal loan to catchup. Try , this will give you breathing room so you can think clearly, and the personal loan will not be against your house. If you need help, send me a message though yahoo.

  7. Reply
    Kim Y
    December 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm

    I see that you are in Florida. I live in the Dallas Ft. Worth metroplex, and the link I attached below are of a company that claims to be able to work “magic”. They’ve had a radio talk show since 1992, and seem to still be around, so they must be working something right. Perhaps they can refinace for you, and get that interest rate down, financing the closing costs back into the note. Please do not hesitate to get this straightened out pronto. I’ve been told that the county I live in (Collin) is nearing 50% foreclosure rate. We are all reaching epidemic proportions on this matter!

    Also, you might want to talk to a lawyer that specializes in stopping foreclosures or can refer you to a company that will do what Reliance can do for us here.

    Best to you! Keep that house!!!

    122006 12:52

  8. Reply
    Janet P
    December 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm

    Contact the housing department. It is not legal for them to just up and raise your interest rate unless you asked them to.

    Additionally I would send them a copy of your husbands unemployment claim.

    Another idea is to check your homeowners insurance, you should have coverage as your home was damaged in a natural disaster.

  9. Reply
    lisa p
    December 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm

    There are two categories of people who are behind on payments— those who intend to pay and need a little time, and those who do not intend to pay.

    Understand that the bank has no way of knowing which category you are in unless you call and tell them. If they don’t hear from you, they assume you don’t intend to pay and they prepare themselves to get tough.

    Generally if you can tell them honestly that you want to and will pay the mortgage and get current as fast as you can, they will prefer to work with you than try to take your house. They make money on mortgages, not foreclosures.

    The bank may be less friendly if you haven’t called them yet to explain how you’ve gotten behind. I recommend calling, calmly/briefly explaining how you got behind, and asking “What’s the best way for us to get caught up and current on our mortgage?” Hopefully they’ll offer to drop some late fees for you.

    You want to frame the talk like you both have the problem of the late mortgage and you want to work together to resolve it as quickly as possible.

  10. Reply
    December 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

    First, get another job or do housecleaning on the side for some tax free cash.

    Second, talk to your mortgage company.


    I just thought about this. Go to They will give you a low payment, unsecured loan. This way, you can catch up on your mortgage. Desperate times calls for desperate measures…it will save your house.

  11. Reply
    Mike N
    December 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm

    Call Ameriquest and ask them to speak with someone that has the files of delinquent loans and ask for a forebearance or a loan modification and continue to send as much as you can until resolved. Ameriquest is good about working with you, But you may have to contact them a few times to get the ball rolling . Explain your hardship and tell them about your ability to pay If you have further questions e-mail me direct

  12. Reply
    December 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm

    In my experience, mortgage companies don’t start foreclosure proceedings until at least 3 monthly payments have been missed..

    You need to call them and start talking. As others have said, explain to them that you want to get caught up and tell them what your circumstances are. Many companies will work with you.

    Don’t let it get to 3 past due payments if you can. Talk to them and see if they will work with you.

    I have worked with clients who worked with their mortgage company and were able to delay foreclosure for almost a year.

    Good Luck!!

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password