Article Score0

I have a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house. I am looking to buy a second home sometime 2007 or 2008 and I want to keep my current house and rent it out. I was told that if I take section 8 I will be almost guaranteed to have a tenant and I won’t have to worry about people not paying rent because the govt. pays it anyway. I was worried about people not taking care of the property but I was told that section 8 will also pay any damages the tenants cause. How do I go about getting my house approved to take section 8? I sent HUD an email last week and they didn’t respond. Also is there a cap on the rent I can charge? I want to charge between $ 650 and $ 700 for rent.

3 Thoughts on How do I get my property approved for section 8/ HUD?
  1. Reply
    August 30, 2011 at 9:53 pm

    You’ll have to check with your local housing authority, and they will help you along and let you know what you can do.
    Section 8 DOES NOT pay for damages caused by the tenants, they are still the ones responsible for that.
    The government will help them pay for the rent, but depending on what you charge they may not pay it all, only a portion based on the income that the prospective tenant makes.
    I would suggest that you really look into this as there can be quite a few headaches that come along with renting with section 8..also with just being a landlord, but once you involve the government there are alot more laws that you need to know.

  2. Reply
    August 30, 2011 at 10:36 pm

    Read the following and do alot more research into this before you go down this course. You need to make yourself an expert on this. Take no ones word on it. Get yourself informed… Due diligence. Good luck

    section 8 rental
    voucher program

    Information by State
    Print version
    Email this to a friend

    The Section 8 Rental Voucher Program increases affordable housing choices for very low-income households by allowing families to choose privately owned rental housing. The public housing authority (PHA) generally pays the landlord the difference between 30 percent of household income and the PHA-determined payment standard-about 80 to 100 percent of the fair market rent (FMR). The rent must be reasonable. The household may choose a unit with a higher rent than the FMR and pay the landlord the difference or choose a lower cost unit and keep the difference.

    Several assistance programs exist under Section 8. Together, the voucher and certificate programs help more than 1.4 million households in the United States. The administering PHA or governmental agency inspects the housing units to make sure they comply with HUD quality standards. The voucher program is similar to the Section 8 certificate program but gives households more choices, especially in high-demand markets where landlords may be reluctant to accept HUD’s FMR level.

    Type of Assistance:
    Through the Section 8 Rental Voucher Program, the administering housing authority issues a voucher to an income-qualified household, which then finds a unit to rent. If the unit meets the Section 8 quality standards, the PHA then pays the landlord the amount equal to the difference between 30 percent of the tenant’s adjusted income (or 10 percent of the gross income or the portion of welfare assistance designated for housing) and the PHA-determined payment standard for the area. The rent must be reasonable compared with similar unassisted units.

    Eligible Grantees:
    PHAs may apply for funding to operate Section 8 programs. Since the start of the Indian Housing Block Grant program, Indian housing authorities are no longer eligible for Section 8 programs.

    Eligible Customers:
    HUD contracts with housing authorities to provide Section 8 voucher assistance to very low-income households, households already assisted under the Housing Act of 1937 and households with incomes up to 80 percent of area median that qualify to receive a voucher in connection with other HUD programs. HUD determines median income levels for each area annually.

    Eligible Activities:
    A system of “portability” allows families to use the assistance outside the boundaries of the PHA that originally admits a family. HUD pays the administering agency an administration fee to cover costs of running the program, including accepting and reviewing applications, recertifying participants, and inspecting the rental units for quality. Vouchers could be used for homeownership under Section 8(y), but this has not yet been implemented.

    Housing authorities apply for funding by responding to Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs) published in the Federal Register. Each NOFA identifies allocation areas, amounts of funds available per area, and the selection criteria for rating and ranking applications.

    Funding Status:
    Currently, HUD is not accepting new applications; it is only extending expiring commitments and vouchers dedicated for special purposes. HUD spent an estimated $ 15.5 billion for all Section 8 programs in fiscal year (FY) 1996 and $ 16.7 billion in FY 1997.

    Technical Guidance:
    The Section 8 Rental Voucher Program is authorized by the U.S. Housing Act of 1937, Section 8(b) (1) for existing housing and Section 8(o) for vouchers. Regulations are found in 24 CFR Part 982. It is administered by HUD’s Office of Public and Indian Housing.

    For More Information:
    Additional information can be obtained by contacting HUD’s Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Public and Assisted Housing Operations, Office of Rental Assistance. Or refer to HUD’s Homes for links to additional information to serve the needs of low-income households. For information about the Section 8 Rental Voucher Programs.

    Success Stories:
    As of September 30, 1996, approximately 400,000 families were being assisted by the voucher program. For examples of success stories, see Tenant-Based Housing Assistance Works (#6584); Section 8 Rental Voucher and Rental Certificate Utilization Study: Final Report (#6505), Office of Policy Development and Research; or Learning From Each Other: New Ideas for Managing the Section 8 Certificate and Voucher Program (#7341). All are available from HUDUSER.

  3. Reply
    August 30, 2011 at 11:13 pm

    u are ultimately responsible for background searches on ur tenants. Sect. 8 is NOT responsible for damage done.. That’s the purpose of the sec. dep.. Sect. 8 allows so much for rent depending on where u live.. Here in AR, a 1 bedroom can only costs $ 432 with utilities.. In MO, it was $ 662.. Sect. 8 is a pain in the butt (been living on it for years).. Everything must be perfect.. I have some horror stories I could tell u about being on it but u probably don’t care.. My dad tried to get his house sect. 8 approved and they gave him a LONG list of things that had to be done.. He said “screw it”.. U will almost always have a tenant.. there are not enough sect. 8 properties but sect. 8 pays their part and if the tenants don’t pay theirs,, u are screwed

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password