Article Score0

So, I just bought my house. I want to ammend my 2008 taxes and claim the credit now. How do I do this. I found the form online but it has no instructions for where to send it or with what documentation.

3 Thoughts on How do I amend my 2008 taxes for the home buyer credit?
  1. Reply
    December 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm

    File an amended return using Form 1040-X. Attach Form 5405 to claim the credit. To expedite processing, attach a copy of the HUD-1 settlement sheet and a copy of the recorded deed.

    Form 1040-X:

    Form 1040-X instructions:

    Form 5405:

  2. Reply
    December 23, 2012 at 10:34 pm

    You file IRS Form 1040X (amended tax return) and will also have to include Form 5405 for the tax credit. The forms and instructions are on the IRS website.

  3. Reply
    JK Harris
    December 23, 2012 at 11:33 pm

    Here are some of the more important links where you can find what you need on,,id=205416,00.html (Informational news release on the new homebuyer’s credit),,id=187935,00.html (questions and answers about the credit)

    Good luck!

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password