3 Thoughts on how can u get a saturday job when your under 16?
  1. Reply
    March 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm

    in some states you can be a bagger for the grocery stores for a few hours..but highly hard to do.

  2. Reply
    March 1, 2013 at 10:15 pm

    well my friend is 13 and she said she got a part time job at a hospital that pays $ 10 an hour and all you have to do is put away paper work.

    I too am looking for a job. :] I suggest you to ask people you know if they have any jobs for you.
    Cleaning windows or mowing the long isn’t so bad.
    Also, baby sitting is an easy way to make money. you just have to be good with kids.

  3. Reply
    Wendy H
    March 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm

    I have answered a similar question before refers to UK.

    Guidance For Employers
    Compulsory School Age:-
    A child is of compulsory school age until the last Friday in June of the school year (September to August) in which they reach the age of 16.
    It is in the benefit of all parties that the employment is legal and safe. Failure to do this could involve prosecution.

    It Is Against The Law:-
    1 For any child under the age of 13 to work.
    2 For a child to work without a permit.
    3 For a child of compulsory school age to work before 7am or after 7pm any day
    4 For any child to work more than 12 hours in any week that their school is open
    5 For a child to work in employment prohibited in the local authority byelaws
    6 Not to allow children to have two consecutive weeks holiday. (See Regulation 2 j)

    Employers’ responsibilities
    It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure the young person has a work permit
    • during the first week of employing a child you must ensure an application form is submitted to the Education Welfare Service.
    • the employer’s name and address on the form must be the child’s line manager.
    • a new permit must be applied for if the hours or type of work are changed.
    • employers must have Liability Insurance (your insurers may challenge a claim if the child does not have a valid work permit).
    • employers are to carry out an appropriate Risk Assessment before a child starts work. The Health and Safety (Young Person) Regulations 1997. (Further information can be obtained from your local Environmental Health office at Mercury House).
    • employees must be given training on health and safety in the workplace.
    • employers must make certain that any equipment your employees use is appropriate, safe and is well maintained.
    • if you are employing your own child you will still need to follow the procedures as you would for any other child employee.
    • it is illegal to employ any child full time if they are of compulsory school age, even if they have received their National Insurance Number.

    Jobs You Can Do
    • agricultural or horticultural work
    • delivery of newspapers, journals and other printed materials
    • shop work including shelf stacking
    • hairdressing salons
    • office work
    • car washing by hand in a private or residential area
    • in a cafe or restaurant
    • in riding stables
    • domestic work in hotels and other establishments offering accommodation

    Jobs You Cannot Do
    No child of school age may be employed –
    • in a cinema, theatre, disco, dance hall or night club
    • to sell or deliver alcohol, except in sealed containers
    • to deliver milk
    • to deliver fuel oils
    • in a commercial kitchen
    • to collect or sort refuse
    • in any work three metres above the ground – inside or outside
    • in employment involving harmful exposure to physical, biological or chemical agents
    • in work involving adult material or in situations unsuitable for children
    • in telephone sales
    • in any slaughterhouse or butcher’s shop
    • as an attendant or assistant in a fairground or amusement arcade or any premises with automatic machines of chance or skill
    • in the personal care of residents of any care home or nursing home unless under the strict supervision of a responsible adult

    Frequently asked questions
    Q:At What age am I allowed to work Part-Time?
    A:To be able to work part-time you have to be 13 years old.

    Q:When can I Work?
    A: For ages 13 and 14
    School days – Not more than 2 hours a day outside school hours
    Saturdays – 4 hours
    Sundays – 2 hours
    School holidays – 5 hours a day, maximum 25 hours a week
    7pm finish

    For ages 15 and 16
    School days – Not more than 2 hours a day outside school hours
    Saturdays – 8 hours
    Sundays – 2 hours
    School holidays – 8 hours a day, maximum 35 hours a week
    7pm finish

    Q:Do I need anything when I start work?
    A:The application form can be obtained from the prospective employer, the school or the Education Welfare Service at the Broxhill Centre, Broxhill Road, Romford, Essex RM4 1XN. ‘A work’ permit will be issued and sent to the employer once the application has been approved.

    Q:Why is it necessary to register for work?
    A:It is the law to register. If you do not register you will not be insured

    Q:Are there any Set rates Of pay?
    A:Your employer will give you the rate of pay. You could talk to a responsible adult to see if it is realistic.

    Q:As I have received my national insurance card When can I start full – time work?
    A:You can only start work full-time when you have officially left school.

    Q:Can I be stopped from working?
    A:YES! Your employer will be advised to end your employment if :-
    • you are late for school
    • you don’t attend school regularly
    • your health suffers
    • your school work suffers

    Important points to keep in mind
    When you are working your employer is responsible for you health, safety and welfare e.g. Making sure you are insured, supplying protective clothing where necessary.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password