Article Score0

I am 18 and have a preexisting condition. I want to move out of my parents house but am not a full time student so I will be kicked of their insurance when I leave and I can’t get health insurance through my job. Is there any way I can get health insurance?
My preexisting condition is bipolar and depression and I am on quite a few expensive medications.

5 Thoughts on How Can I Get Health Insurance?
  1. Reply
    Pinky Tiny
    August 2, 2011 at 1:56 am

    Like A Good Nieghbor STATE FARM is there XDDDD

  2. Reply
    August 2, 2011 at 2:56 am


    If you live in one of the few states where insurance companies are required to issue policies to everyone who lives there and is willing to pay, without regard to existing health conditions (New York, for example), then just pick one and apply.

    If you live in one of the many states where insurance companies can refuse to cover someone because of preexisting conditions, then you may qualify for a state-run managed risk pool. However, you may need to apply for regular insurance first, and be denied. In California, for example, you pick any company, apply, get denied because of the preexisting condition, and then enroll in the managed risk pool.

  3. Reply
    August 2, 2011 at 3:28 am

    You don’t mention what the pre-existing condition is. Is it a wart? Is it cancer? Is it a cut? Is it diabetes? ‘Pre-existing’ tells us nothing.

  4. Reply
    August 2, 2011 at 4:16 am

    You probably need to find a different full time job with health insurance.

    As long as your parents WANT to, they can keep you on THEIR insurance, until you turn 26 . . .. but if they don’t want to keep on you there if you break house rules – like shacking up with a boyfriend – then you’re on your own, to provide for your OWN health insurance.

  5. Reply
    August 2, 2011 at 4:21 am

    Bipolar and depression is a big decline in most states with most companies. Contact a local agent that works with all of the major companies in your area. The agent can work with you to find if any company would cover you and on what terms. There is no charge using an agent.

    Healthcare reform allows parents to allow their kids to stay on their policy until age 26. You do not need to remain in the household or remain a fulltime student. However, you’ll probably need to remain in the service area of the company to get full benefits, and you cannot have employer insurance available. Your parents do not have to allow you to stay on; it’s their choice.

    Other than that you may have to wait until you can get a good job with health benefits or wait until 2014 when the insurance companies must accept you.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password