Article Score0


Im moving into a 2 bedroom apartment in the next few week and I’m trying to work out how much my out goings will be.

I think I need to get home insurance. Is that a requirement? also how much would that averagely cost per month and what does that cover.

The property is unfurnished apart from fridge freezer,oven,washer dryer.



5 Thoughts on home insurance when renting an apartment?
  1. Reply
    Steve D
    June 21, 2012 at 5:30 am

    You would want renter’s insurance and the cost will depend on where you live, how much coverage you want etc. Remember, the landlord’s insurance does not cover your things, so if the apartment gets broken into or burns down, without renter’s insurance, you get nothing.

  2. Reply
    June 21, 2012 at 5:55 am

    Like Steve said, you need RENTERS INSURANCE, not a home owners policy. Your landlord is responsible for the walls, carpet, fridge, freezer, oven, washer and dryer. You need to estimate your valuables and contact a local agent to get you a quote on the renters insurance in your area. If there are a lot of B&E in your area or the building you are moving into is old, faulty wiring and such, you may have a little higher premium than someone living in a good area and a nice secure building. As a estimate, most renters insurance will only be around $ 100 to $ 300 per year, maybe even a little less. Again this may depend on what you have to insure. You may also want to list certain items separately if they hold a higher cost. Items such a jewelry, guns, fur coats, etc.

    Again, contact a local agent in your area that has been there for a while. See if they can get you a quote with a well know insurance company. This should not cost you a dime to get these quotes.

    Good Luck

  3. Reply
    June 21, 2012 at 5:56 am

    Like the other posters stated, you need renters insurance which is usually pretty cheap.

    It is not only for your personal items, but mainly for liability. So say for instance, you have a candle that accidentally catches fire, the homeowner could sue, or his homeowners insurance can go after you for the costs to repair you apartment.

    Call an agent and get a quote.

    good luck

  4. Reply
    June 21, 2012 at 6:53 am

    Most landlords will want you to have renters insurance to cover YOUR stuff.

    It costs about $ 150 a year, in most parts of the country. Talk to your agent, about exactly WHAT is covered.

  5. Reply
    June 21, 2012 at 7:02 am

    You cannot get “home” insurance. “Home” insurance is for a house owned by the person who lives in it. The insurance that you can get when renting an apartment is called “renter’s insurance”.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password