Article Score0

My flood insurance deductable is 1000 and home owner dedutable is 500 dollars. My electric water heater dont work because im not getting hot water. Im not sure is my heater work but my heater was brand new i never even used it yet its a gas steam fired heater boiler. Do you think my manufacture warranty is voided since i had a flood?

Also can someone explain how my flood insurance work.

Also do im suppossed to use my home warranty insurance in this case too?

Be specific Please. Thanks

3 Thoughts on Hi, I had a flood about 2 feet in my basement. I have flood insurance and homeowner insurance?
  1. Reply
    December 6, 2011 at 5:43 am

    It depends what you mean by flood. If you mean that water from outside the house flooded the basement, then your homeowners policy will not provide coverage for that loss. Your flood insurance will. If you had a plumbing system burst, or if rain entered a storm created opening causing rain to flood the house, then you Homeowners policy might provide coverage.

    Regarding your water heater, it depends as to what caused it to fail. If it failed due to a manufacturing defect, then the warranty would likely cover the loss. I am not an appliance expert, but if the water heater was flooded, you may simply need to have a repairman clean the gas lines in the unit.

    Federal Flood Insurance is a government subsidized program that is sold through insurance carriers but is managed by the government through the National Flood Insurance Program. If you experience what it considers a flood, you would file a claim and the NFIP would pay you according to its dwelling policy.

    “Flood, as used in this flood insurance policy, means:

    1. A general and temporary condition of partial or
    complete inundation of two or more acres of normally
    dry land area or of two or more properties (at least
    one of which is your property) from:

    a. Overflow of inland or tidal waters;

    b. Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of
    surface waters from any source;

    c. Mudflow.
    2. Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a
    lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or
    undermining caused by waves or currents of water
    exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a
    flood as defined in A.1.a. above.”

    This is what is required of you if you have a flood and wish to file a claim.

    “In case of a flood loss to insured property, you must:

    1. Give prompt written notice to us;

    2. As soon as reasonably possible, separate the
    damaged and undamaged property, putting it in the
    best possible order so that we may examine it;

    3. Prepare an inventory of damaged property showing
    the quantity, description, actual cash value, and
    amount of loss. Attach all bills, receipts, and related

    4. Within 60 days after the loss, send us a proof of loss,
    which is your statement of the amount you are
    claiming under the policy signed and sworn to by
    you, and which furnishes us with the following

    a. The date and time of loss;

    b. A brief explanation of how the loss happened;

    c. Your interest (for example, “owner”) and the
    interest, if any, of others in the damaged

    d. Details of any other insurance that may cover the

    e. Changes in title or occupancy of the covered
    property during the term of the policy;

    Specifications of damaged buildings and
    detailed repair estimates;

    g. Names of mortgagees or anyone else having a
    lien, charge, or claim against the covered

    h. Details about who occupied any insured building
    at the time of loss and for what purpose; and

    The inventory of damaged personal property
    described in J.3. above.

    5. In completing the proof of loss, you must use your
    own judgment concerning the amount of loss and
    justify that amount.

    6. You
    representative in the investigation of the claim.

    7. The insurance adjuster whom we hire to investigate
    your claim may furnish you with a proof of loss form,
    and she or he may help you complete it. However,
    this is a matter of courtesy only, and you must still
    send us a proof of loss within 60 days after the loss
    even if the adjuster does not furnish the form or help
    you complete it.

    8. We have not authorized the adjuster to approve or
    disapprove claims or to tell you whether we will
    approve your claim.

    9. At our option, we may accept the adjuster’s report of
    the loss instead of your proof of loss. The adjuster’s
    report will include information about your loss and the
    damages you sustained. You must sign the adjuster’s
    report. At our option, we may require you to swear to
    the report.”

    This is an Actual Cash Value policy and so you will be paid what it costs to replace or make repairs less the depreciation, less the deductible.

    Your home warranty will not cover this damage, if it is a flood as defined by the NFIP Dwelling Form.

  2. Reply
    December 6, 2011 at 6:14 am

    Yep, the manufacturer’s warranty is void. Home warranty is void, too.

    The homeowners policy doesn’t cover flood, AT ALL.

    Your flood insurance will pay – after your deductible, subject to coinsurance – to replace any appliances that were damaged by the flood. That usually includes hot water heater, furnace if applicable, washer and drier. It will NOT cover any damage to any “contents” you were storing in the basement, if the basement is below ground level.

    Don’t throw anything away. Keep everything, until the adjuster says you can throw it away.

  3. Reply
    December 6, 2011 at 6:18 am

    The manufacturer’s warranty does not cover it if it stopped working because it was underwater (fully or partially). The manufacturer’s warranty would cover it if the water did not get in it and it stopped working for reasons unrelated to the flood.

    The home warranty does not cover anything that stopped working because it was underwater (fully or partially) or that was put into the house after you bought the house. You are supposed to use the home warranty only if (1) something that is not working was already part of the house when you bought the house, and (2) the water did not get in it and it stopped working for reasons unrelated to the flood.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password