To add a second story, is it better to tear down and rebuild?

Tips and Deals Forums Buying Your Home Buying a Home in Bay Area To add a second story, is it better to tear down and rebuild?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve got a 1949 tiny-roomed house with a 70’s addition that added an eat in area to the kitchen, a family room, an extra bathroom, laundry nook and two car garage.* This is in the emerald hills/farm hills area of RWC, so big houses are pretty common, but ours is 1600 sq feet 3/2.* The garage goes up to the lot line, so if I tear it down, I bet I won’t be able to rebuild in that location.* I was thinking of trying to stick a second story on the house starting at the end of the garage and extending over the original house and out over the patio to create an ‘outdoor’ room (no walls, just a ceiling with lights and outdoor fan).
      If we’re thinking of this, is it better to tear down as much of the house as we can while still calling it a ‘remodel’ or is it doable to add on?* I’m okay with external supports for the second floor (adding a balcony on one side and the ‘over patio projection on the other’) or running steel beams through interior rooms in the corners.* I’m positive the existing foundation is insufficient for a second story by itself.* (Had a foundation guy examine and shore up a corner when we bought.)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Register New Account
Reset Password