- October 6, 2011 at 2:19 am #232012Dewayne EberhartMember
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1st Caveat Emptor – Think twice before using the home inspector your RE agent recommends.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I made a MISTAKE of using home inspector recommended by my agent.* Thought I’d be nice to her though my gut said choose a 3rd party inspector without any sliver of conflict of interest with high rating from Angie’s List.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Well it started out bad with the inspector who claims he inspected 8,000 houses telling me not to follow him around.* That’s funny because inspectors I had worked with had no problem or encouraged me to follow them.* He seemed to be doing his job until I received the report.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I was floored by the report…* It had NO pictures other than house photo on the cover page.* Report was superficial, generic and canned with little details.* It was obvious cut and paste.* I compared the reports from selling my house and even one from another house I considered putting an offer (done by relo company for prospective buyer).* It also lacked numbering system making it hard to reference the items inspected.[/FONT]
- [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]No details with locations, pictures, diagrams of where the small to moderate stucco cracks and non-working lights are.[/FONT]
- [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]No mention of peeling paints on garage metal roof over window pointed out to the inspector.[/FONT]
- [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]No details on blemishes and minor cracks on the ceilings.[/FONT]
My relo company gladly offered to pay for 2nd home inspection.* I spoke to an honest home inspector who said he does not want to get involved in “dog fight” situations where 2nd inspector find more or miss (remote since report was so canned and generic) than 1st inspector.* He advised that I get an agreement from seller up front that they will honor the findings of both 1st (pest and roof) and 2nd home inspection company.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.