Is MLS Still Relevant?

Tips and Deals Forums Buying Your Home Buying a Home in Bay Area Is MLS Still Relevant?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I took a long ride on my motorcycle today.* Went out with a set destination to a country road north of Vacaville to look at what had happened to a house I almost bought some fifteen years ago.*

It was the home/property of my dreams.* It had been in Sunset magazine in the 1960s but it needed work from the word go.* I had recently investigated another property nearby using Redfin and ended up “traveling” using Google streetview to check out my former dream house.* I was shocked and saddened by what appeared to have been been done to it.* The giant oak (more than 3′ in trunk diameter) that sat in front with a circular drive around it was gone along with that circular driveway.* In fact, almost all the native trees that had formed a beautiful shade canopy over most of the house appeared to be gone and the house was completely exposed.

So, off I went on a pleasure/nostalgia ride to see it for myself.

Well, on that beautiful drive on 10 or 20 miles of two lane country road where this particular home is located, I must have passed at least twenty, if not thirty real estate signs indicating other homes for sale in the valley.* So, I came back home and I’m using Redfin to research current listings and recent sales.* But, low and behold, only ONE property in that entire valley is coming up on Redfin.* I turned off ALL criterion in my search to make sure it wasn’t me and still just the one listing.

The only explanation I can come up with is that all of the “for sale” signs I saw are NOT on the MLS and thus won’t show up on Redfin’s data base.* I’ve encountered this same situation in other areas I’ve visited before under similar circumstances, but never to this degree where I’m finding nothing on Redfin but visually saw many homes for sale.

This has me wondering:* In today’s market are realtors holding homes off of the MLS to preserve exclusivity?*

Is there some other reason this is happening?

I’m hoping that our Refine moderators will take note and check with the Redfin agents and jump in on this issue.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Register New Account
Reset Password