Is it normal or legal for a landlord to say its mandatory for their name to be on the renters insura

Tips and Deals Forums Home Insurance Is it normal or legal for a landlord to say its mandatory for their name to be on the renters insura

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Is it normal for a landlord to say its mandatory for their name to be on the renters insurance policy?
    My landlord said that is mandatory and he added it as part of the lease that I must have $ 500,000 liability and have his and his wives name to the policy. Is it normal for a landlord to require this? Why would he want to be on my insurance policy? Is it not to cover my belongings and not the house? So what difference does it make how much liability I have or don’t. Also what does the liability really mean? I own my current home and is renting it out because we are in the military and is stationed in another state and so instead of buying another home we are renting. We have never rented before. Someone please help! Please and Thank you,
    Please don’t post SPAM I really don’t care to see it and I am looking for an answer to my question not SPAM!! Thank you Trudi But no thank you.
    Whats a local housing C.? This is guy that is renting out his own house.
    What is a local housing authority? This is a guy that is renting out a house that he owns.
    I found this infomation on

“Renters’ insurance policies are similar to homeowners’ insurance policies but have no coverage for buildings or structures. Although renter’s insurance is not usually required, by the terms of some leases, tenants may be required to have insurance to cover their liability exposure if someone is injured on the premises, or if damages occur from items owned by the renter, such as waterbeds. And, the LANDLORD can, in fact, require the renter to have liability insurance.”

But are they allowed to tell me how much I have to have?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password