I'm being sued by a debt collector… What's going to happen?

Tips and Deals Forums Debt Management Debt Management I'm being sued by a debt collector… What's going to happen?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

A law office is suing me for $ 2675 that I owe to Chase. When I was 19, I foolishly took out a bunch of credit cards that I continued to rack up after I lost my job.. Eventually I couldn’t pay any of them, so I got on a debt management plan. Pretty soon this became too much of a burden as well (I am a single mother with a low paying job).

When I stopped making payments I was not aware I would get sued, I only thought it would harm my credit card rating. I just figured I could eventually pay them back when my financial situation improves… So I ignore the phone calls and mail.

Yesterday I just so happened to be sorting through a pile of older mail when I saw a letter from a law office… The letter was dated April 26th, and the collector claims that if I did not respond within 12 days they would sue me. It’s been over a month since the letter arrived, and today the post office tried to deliver a message from the clerk of courts, but I wasn’t there to sign for it.

Any information on the process or what action I should take now would be helpful. I have severe anxiety and if I have to go to court, which is a panic attack in itself, I would like to expect so I can mentally prepare myself. I know it’s probably too late for me to fix this, but any words of wisdom concerning the situation would be greatly appreciated.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password