If u sell your house and go into a nursing home, can u be made to repay the money to

Tips and Deals Forums Buying Your Home If u sell your house and go into a nursing home, can u be made to repay the money to

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

nursing home? In the state of Georgia, what are the laws about selling your house and moving into a nursing home, does the nursing home have the right to take that money for selling your home?
    The house was sold way before these people were put in a nursing home, In the state of GA, We were told that anything sold after Feb 2007 is considered to be made repayed to the nursing home. We were not trying to bilk the government, Just did not know that the funds had to be repaid. Now having to make payments to nursing home.

Anonymous

If you are trying to get on medicaid you won’t qualify because of the house sale. You would determine how the nursing home is paid.

Anonymous

In any state, you have to pay for services rendered, so the nursing home gets its money. When all the money is gone, then you get Medicaid.

Anonymous

If you are going to have medicare / medicaid pay supplementally to the home for your care it’s called fraud.

Anonymous

The nursing home still wants money.

You sold your home so now you have income provided the mortgage is paid off. You have to pay the nursing home for providing services to you.

Anonymous

It is possible to negotiate better interest rates with some credit card companies but you will probably get much better results if you go thru a credit counseling company.

Be sure to use a NFCC memeber: . These are legit, non-profit credit counseling companies.

Anonymous

It is possible to negotiate better interest rates with some credit card companies but you will probably get much better results if you go thru a credit counseling company.

Be sure to use a NFCC memeber: . These are legit, non-profit credit counseling companies.

Anonymous

Bottom line: You are really only in a position to negotiate better terms with your creditors if you are seriously behind on your payments…as they have an interest in keeping you paying and not defaulting. If you’re current on your payments…forget about them helping you.

CCCS (debt management) can negotiate better terms like lower interest and payments…even if you are not delinquent. They will require you to stop using all credit and to cut up your cards. Your credit report will be updated to “enrolled in debt management.” This does not damage your credit, but it may make it impossible to obtain new credit while you are enrolled in their program….so don’t use this service if you anticipate applying for a new apartment, car loan or mortgage anytime soon, as you would probably be denied while you’re enrolled in the CCCS debt management program…. Otherwise, it can be a very good way to deal with your debt.

STAY AWAY from debt settlement firms…they deliberately trash your credit to attempt settlements….you could end up being sued by your creditors.

Anonymous

Bottom line: You are really only in a position to negotiate better terms with your creditors if you are seriously behind on your payments…as they have an interest in keeping you paying and not defaulting. If you’re current on your payments…forget about them helping you.

CCCS (debt management) can negotiate better terms like lower interest and payments…even if you are not delinquent. They will require you to stop using all credit and to cut up your cards. Your credit report will be updated to “enrolled in debt management.” This does not damage your credit, but it may make it impossible to obtain new credit while you are enrolled in their program….so don’t use this service if you anticipate applying for a new apartment, car loan or mortgage anytime soon, as you would probably be denied while you’re enrolled in the CCCS debt management program…. Otherwise, it can be a very good way to deal with your debt.

STAY AWAY from debt settlement firms…they deliberately trash your credit to attempt settlements….you could end up being sued by your creditors.

Anonymous

Don’t use a firm, do it yourself. It’s not difficult. You get on the phone with each creditor, explain what you need, and ask them to lower the interest rates. You’re more likely to succeed because you haven’t been a loss to them.

Then, I would figure out how to sell anything that isn’t necessary in order to raise some money, and I would cut expenses anywhere you can. After that, you might have to get a part-time additional job until you can pay things off.

If you can get your interest rates lowered to about 8.99%, and you can make 3% payments each month, you’ll get it paid off in a little over three years.

Read “Pay It Down” for more details.

Anonymous

Don’t use a firm, do it yourself. It’s not difficult. You get on the phone with each creditor, explain what you need, and ask them to lower the interest rates. You’re more likely to succeed because you haven’t been a loss to them.

Then, I would figure out how to sell anything that isn’t necessary in order to raise some money, and I would cut expenses anywhere you can. After that, you might have to get a part-time additional job until you can pay things off.

If you can get your interest rates lowered to about 8.99%, and you can make 3% payments each month, you’ll get it paid off in a little over three years.

Read “Pay It Down” for more details.

Anonymous

At one time I meet with CCC agency and it was tempting to deal with them because they promised to lower the interest rates and they would payment terms with the creditors if I gave them the payment to distribute. In the agreements much as 30% of your consolidated payment can go to CCC. So I figured I might as well save the 30% and do it myself. I have paid off everything owed money on except the house. Paid off $ 32,000 in credit dept, $ 27,000 truck, $ 9000 car, $ 7000 atv, and a $ 3900 lawnmower and the $ 205,000 house will be gone in five more years. You can do it, you just need the right motivation. Once I decided to start paying the bills off it was contagious. They dropped like flys on a 32 degree morning. The hardest thing was setting the budget and then actually starting. Pay extra on one dept every month and pay the min. on all of the others. Take every extra dime you can make and pay on the one dept. When that dept is paid off roll the entire amount onto the next dept and go until everything is paid off. Good Luck.

Anonymous

At one time I meet with CCC agency and it was tempting to deal with them because they promised to lower the interest rates and they would payment terms with the creditors if I gave them the payment to distribute. In the agreements much as 30% of your consolidated payment can go to CCC. So I figured I might as well save the 30% and do it myself. I have paid off everything owed money on except the house. Paid off $ 32,000 in credit dept, $ 27,000 truck, $ 9000 car, $ 7000 atv, and a $ 3900 lawnmower and the $ 205,000 house will be gone in five more years. You can do it, you just need the right motivation. Once I decided to start paying the bills off it was contagious. They dropped like flys on a 32 degree morning. The hardest thing was setting the budget and then actually starting. Pay extra on one dept every month and pay the min. on all of the others. Take every extra dime you can make and pay on the one dept. When that dept is paid off roll the entire amount onto the next dept and go until everything is paid off. Good Luck.

Anonymous

Your better off trying to negotiate on your own. If you go through an agency they charge a fee.

Anonymous

Your better off trying to negotiate on your own. If you go through an agency they charge a fee.

Anonymous

Using an agency will obviously mean added fees. Nobody works for free. So unless you’re totally bad at figuring things out, I’d suggest you sit down and take a look at your whole financial picture. If possible, You pay the monthly minimum on all cards, plus an extra on the “bigger” one until all is paid off on that big one. Then you continue to pay minimum on all other cards, plus what you paid on the big one, you add to number two card until that one is paid. And so on until you’re in the clear again.

Anonymous

Using an agency will obviously mean added fees. Nobody works for free. So unless you’re totally bad at figuring things out, I’d suggest you sit down and take a look at your whole financial picture. If possible, You pay the monthly minimum on all cards, plus an extra on the “bigger” one until all is paid off on that big one. Then you continue to pay minimum on all other cards, plus what you paid on the big one, you add to number two card until that one is paid. And so on until you’re in the clear again.

Anonymous

Have you tried consolidating your debt so that you have only one payment? If you own your home, you could refinance and consolidate and the interest you pay on that debt is tax deductible. Then throw the credit cards out. You could also do a direct deposit/payment to that load…one larger than the actual payment due, which would automatically take the money from your paycheck before you had a chance to get at it.

Just a thought.
    I don’t know anything about credit counseling but I thought I’d offer some friendly advice.

Good luck.

Anonymous

Have you tried consolidating your debt so that you have only one payment? If you own your home, you could refinance and consolidate and the interest you pay on that debt is tax deductible. Then throw the credit cards out. You could also do a direct deposit/payment to that load…one larger than the actual payment due, which would automatically take the money from your paycheck before you had a chance to get at it.

Just a thought.
    I don’t know anything about credit counseling but I thought I’d offer some friendly advice.

Good luck.

Anonymous

When Consumer Credit Counselors first started up in the early 1980’s, it was a legitimate not-for-profit organization of businessmen and lenders dedicated to helping people with over-extended credit. Enter eight years of Reaganomics, and they had reorganized into a for-profit group that charged a fee for the same services. You can negotiate a lower interest rate and/or extended payment plan with each creditor separately before it goes into collection and save your credit rating. Some agencies will play hardball with the creditors and you end up paying the principal without the interest, at the expense of your credit rating. If you can’t increase your income, you have to decrease your out-go. Take the belt in a notch or two, shop at thrift stores, stick to a budget and do not use one credit card to pay off another. Destroy your credit cards and get a new one after it is paid off. Don’t count on Congress for a bail-out.

Anonymous

When Consumer Credit Counselors first started up in the early 1980’s, it was a legitimate not-for-profit organization of businessmen and lenders dedicated to helping people with over-extended credit. Enter eight years of Reaganomics, and they had reorganized into a for-profit group that charged a fee for the same services. You can negotiate a lower interest rate and/or extended payment plan with each creditor separately before it goes into collection and save your credit rating. Some agencies will play hardball with the creditors and you end up paying the principal without the interest, at the expense of your credit rating. If you can’t increase your income, you have to decrease your out-go. Take the belt in a notch or two, shop at thrift stores, stick to a budget and do not use one credit card to pay off another. Destroy your credit cards and get a new one after it is paid off. Don’t count on Congress for a bail-out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password