I canceled my gym membership over four months ago, but they are now trying to force me to pay for th

Tips and Deals Forums Debt Management Debt Management I canceled my gym membership over four months ago, but they are now trying to force me to pay for th

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Last fall I went in person to my gym to cancel my membership and was given a simple form to complete stating the reasons and acknowledging that if I wanted to rejoin at a later date I would be subject to new fees. I signed the form and asked for a copy of it, which I have kept. I thought the matter was settled. A few days ago I began receiving calls at all hours (including six on Sunday morning) from a 1-800 number, and when I answered it an incredibly rude person told me he was from a collection agency and had been hired by the gym to collect my debt. I explained the situation about canceling the membership, and the guy treated me like a deadbeat making excuses. I then called the gym and asked to speak to the manager I was familiar with, but she was no longer working there so I was transferred to some other lady who informed me that the gym had changed ownership and a new policy had gone into effect last fall stating that in order to cancel the membership you had to send a certified letter to the company headquarters. I asked if that was the case, why the employee gave me the form to fill out and said nothing about a letter, and she said that person was no longer at the gym and she was not responsible for the misinformation I had been given.

The membership wasn’t even supposed to be a binding contract because I was only sixteen at the time I signed up. I was told that I could go ahead and fill out the application and start using the gym until a parent came in and signed it. My parents never came to the gym, and I continued to go there multiple times a week without anyone every saying another word to me about it. The payment was processed through a prepaid credit card that I just kept topping up to cover the fees. I stopped topping up the card when I canceled the membership. I canceled it because I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma last summer and can no longer work out at public gyms due to the germs milling about there. I told the manager at the gym about my health, and she basically snorted at me and insinuated that I’m lying. She said I didn’t properly cancel my membership and owe $ 500 ($ 125 a month) for the fees, and that if I still need to send in the certified letter.

I’m going to send in a certified letter, but I’m not going to be bullied into paying $ 500. The collection agency called me 10 times today. The only headway I made with them is that they said they would no longer call me before 8am. I thought it was illegal for them to go after a minor (I’m 17 now) and to call someone on her cell phone; isn’t it?

I’m not going to get my parents involved in this mess, but I don’t know what to do. Is this going to affect my credit score now? I want to get the gym and the collection agency to back off, and I want to file complaints against both of them. Can someone please give me advice on how to proceed?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password