Homeowners insurance–who decides coverage amounts? Me or the insurance company?

Tips and Deals Forums Home Insurance Homeowners insurance–who decides coverage amounts? Me or the insurance company?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hello, all–I am shopping for insurance coverage for our home, and it has been confusing to say the least. It is an average home built in an area where there are considerations like hurricanes (Texas Coast), and the home has been insured consistently for the past year. We have not had any claims. Regarding mortgage, there is not an “official” mortgage, as the home was owner-financed through relatives.

How are insurance coverage amounts decided? I realize that we are in a high-risk area as far as insurance is concerned, but it seems that the companies I have spoken to have given me high numbers in coverage and price without asking what I would like. Is this just the way home insurance works, or should I be asking for choices?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, but I am just overwhelmed by this process!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password