Garnishment Questions Please Help

Tips and Deals Forums Consumer Credit Improve credit Garnishment Questions Please Help

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  dealpal 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

dealpal
    Keymaster

I’m not sure if I am posting this in the correct place. If I’m not then please forgive me.*

In approximately 2007 my estranged husband got into a minor car accident. The car was still in my name, but I was not operating it because I can’t drive a stick shift. I had moved out of our apartment that we shared at the time and cancelled the car insurance with the understanding that he would get his own. Well, he didn’t do that and got into an accident. Since then I’ve moved to IL (I lived in KY at the time) and recieved a notice back in July advising me that the other person’s insurance company was seeking money in the total of 17,000.00 I immediately called the collections agency and advised them that I wasn’t in possession of the car and wasn’t aware of the details involving the accident. They in turn told me that since my name was on the car I was just as responsible for the incident as he was but that they were seeking to collect from him as well. I contacted the courts in KY and gave my statement via phone (I was told that I could do so) and never heard anything back from anyone until I got a copy of an order of garnishment (non wage) to be done by a bank that I don’t even have an account with. I’ve been trying to get in contact with the insurance company as well as get a copy of the accident report to see why the amount is so large for a fender bender. I can’t afford an attorney so I’m just seeking some sort of direction. I don’t really know the steps to defending myself. The collector got my ex’s employment information and said they will be going after him for garnishment. I don’t have any money. I’m a stay at home mom I don’t have a clue as to what I should be doing or if I can even fight this. I’ll even settle for paying a drastically reduced amount. I don’t want my ex to know where I live. It was an abusive relationship and I’m afraid that they will have to disclose to him my whereabouts.

Thanks in advance

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password