Debt/Bankruptcy?

Tips and Deals Forums Debt Management Debt Management Debt/Bankruptcy?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

I’m a college student in my junior year. I live in an area where most businesses are student-friendly and flexible with hours, but I cannot get a job that pays a high enough amount to cover cost of living.My parents pay tuition and books, but I pay everything else-phone, car insurance, untilities, rent, groceries, gas, etc. My problem is that I’m in debt-about $ 2000-but I can’t keep up with any payments. Currently, I make enough to make rent and utilities and I basically don’t eat. I don’t qualify for foodstamps, but my credit has become so bad that I don’t qualify for any credit cards. My parents will not cosign a student loan, so I don’t qualify for one & they make enough money that I don’t qualify for FAFSA.
    I’m considering declaring bankruptcy but I don’t really understand what that means. I’ve looked around a little online& found debt consolidation sites & even someone that says you can convince the credit companies/agencies to take $ 700 for a $ 1000 debt. Opionions/help plz
    The buses don’t run enough for me to not use my car and I’ve already cut my phone usage back to nothing but emergencies. Most of my debt is gas (to get around and to go home for holidays) and groceries. I’ve stopped going out a long time ago because my bills were piling up but I can’t seem to catch a break or get any help.My parents said I got myself in this mess and I need to figure it out myself. The thing is, I qualify for the state to pay for my classes, so if they had just said they’d pay even part of my rent I wouldn’t have had to get credit cards just to feed myself!
    Sorry if that sounds rant-y but that’s how i feel. I understand that they just wanted me to learn financial responsibility, but I haven’t had any kind of allowance since i was 10 and have been buying toiletries, shampoo, clothing, and lunch/food for school, and school supplies for myself since I was 13. I know it sounds ungrateful, but i just resent it when kids say “its okay my dad/mom pays the bill on this:
    I have filled out the FAFSA forms every semester since I started college and am always mailed back a letter saying I don’t qualify.

I don’t have a long enough or good enough credit history to get a student loan without a cosigner
    I have filled out the FAFSA forms every semester since I started college and am always mailed back a letter saying I don’t qualify.

I don’t have a long enough or good enough credit history to get a student loan without a cosigner

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password