Consumer’s rights?

Tips and Deals Forums Consumer Credit Consumer’s rights?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years ago.

• Author

Anonymous

While preparing to apply for a mortgage I ran my credit and found an almost 80 point difference between experian and equifax. After no help from equifax or credit advisors i joined and started reading this forum.

I had thought i had figured out the problem and paid off an old debt. The scores changed but still did not reflect anywhere close to each other. The full reports I received prints all the accounts out side by side and there was no difference in the reported verbiage or payment history. I finally bought each report individually and put them side by side myself.

I didn’t notice anything until I was looking through the credit summary and for one it listed two active installment loans and only one on euifax. I signed up for the unlimited reporting from equifax so that i could monitor while I worked on finding out why this report did not show active on the credit summary. There was no closed date or anything on the report to show it as not active. When i ran my report on the equifax website it listed one of my installment loans under the closed section.

I called and was advised by there personal solutions customer care that the report showed closed for some time and currently over due the balance of $13,301. I knew this was not right and so they forwarded me on to the despute department and i sent in a request to challenge the report. 25 days later i got notice that the dispute had completed and information if any had updated. I checked my report again and it still showed the account as closed. I called back to the dispute department and they told me the account showed as open, ad ot did before so no changes. I was transferred to the personal solutions department that told me the account was closed and I would have to dispute it to get it open. Having already done that i was at a loss.

It took me ping ponging back and forth several times before i was able to get both departments on the phone at the same time. At this point both departments figured out there was an error between what was on the account and what was showing on the report. I was told an escalated IT priority ticket would be placed to fix the error in 3-5 business days. I called back after 5 days and was told 5-7 days to fix it. I called back after 7 and was told 7-10 days. On day 11 i called again and was told 3-5 more days. Now on day 21 and was told may be 5-7 more days. I have spoken to 16 different employees, 3 supervisors and 1 manager with no luck. The manager is who i spoke to on day 11 and was told wait 3-5 more days. After calling again and complaining i was told that the IT department had found a bad sector in the data and hundreds-thousands of accounts were found to have this similar error and they were working on a group fix.

My reason for explain all that is to ask the question; where is the protection of the average consumer during times that theses errors occur? i am now held hostage while they take their time trying to fix an admitted mistake. I can apply for credit, but may have to pay the higher interest rate. What happens if periodic review onebof my current creditor pull a report and decrease my limit or change my account based on information obtained on credit report?

i have had this happen recently and did not know why, i was never late in a few years and couldn’t figure out what they could have found. Yesterday i tried to call and was put on hold for an hour and 20 minutes once, 45 minutes second time and then hung up on both times. As a manager in a large corporation i know the difficulties of working with IT issues, but i have never received such poor customer service as i have with Equifax. Agents were rude, i was told i was dead wrong initially and that it was impossible for the report to show something different than what the dispute department found.

I have been left with no guarantee of when / if this will get fixed and i am not sure what my next course of action should be. There has to be laws to protect us from this type of situation. I asked to have the account locked and not count in my scoring until they could fix their error but was told that is impossible as well. Sorry for the rant but i am now months into this with no resolution and a lease ending soon. Beyond frustrated.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password