College debt has ruined my life, and I'm mad at myself for leting it happen.?

Tips and Deals Forums Debt Management Debt Management College debt has ruined my life, and I'm mad at myself for leting it happen.?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

I am beginning to regret going to college, it seems the only thing I have attained from it, is debt. When I went to school I was allured to the dream of being an airline pilot. I finally got my pilot’s license, but it got to expensive, so I switched to Aviation Management. I am so depressed and mad at myself for letting this happen, and it seems like there is no way out. A few times I forgot to fill out the FAFSA so I had to take out loans to cover the expenses, or I was late getting it in and got no money.

Here’s where I am at:
    1 Loan for $ 50,000 (Monthly Payments of 476/mo); 1 Loan for $ 21620 (Monthly Payments of 128); 1 Loan for $ 7800 (Monthly Payments of 50), and Credit Card Debt of about $ 3000. So I have loans totaling $ 79420.

I also have a car payment, cell phone, however I pay no rent, but my grandparents will soon be asking for that.

I just got a new job that pays me $ 35000 per year. So if I don’t put anything into savings I can pay off my loans in about 4 years, however when you begin to figure in my other expenses it’s more like 7 years.

Consolidation is not really an option, because the $ 50000 is an “Education Alternative Loan”, it’s not a federal loan. The $ 7800 loan is a no interest loan. And the $ 21620 is a direct federal loan.

-My dilemma is that, I have a girlfriend that I want to begin a life with. I wish to get an apartment with her maybe in the next year or so. And I want to marry her.

Situation 1- Do I put no money into savings and just tackle the loans head on? I will have no money for retirement or a down payment on a house.

Situation 2- I put some money aside into savings, and it will take longer to pay off?

Situation 3- Declare bankruptcy if I can?

I apologize for this taking so long, but I don’t know what to do. Thank you for your help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password