Can a landlord be held responsible for locked up items stolen on his property?

Tips and Deals Forums Home Insurance Can a landlord be held responsible for locked up items stolen on his property?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

I live in an apartment and in the last two weeks I’ve had a wheel stolen from my car, and my $ 800 dollar bicylce stolen. The bike was locked to a metal beam that was part of the building, can the landlord be held responsible for either of these events? And if not, can I be allowed out of my lease because the landlord has not been able to provide security for my personal items?
    First of all, I have renter’s insurance but it doesn’t cover anything outside of the apartment, which I found out the hard way. The point I was trying to make, is that two weeks prior to having my bike stolen I had a wheel stolen off of my car. I brought up the security issues, and nothing was addressed. There is also a big difference between TYING something a locking something up to an I beam two feet from my front door that is part of the apartment’s structure, with a chain and lock, it’s hardly negligent, that’d be tantamount to saying, I rode to work, locked it up at the bike rack and that was irresponsible. Why do people with opinions and not facts even bother posting. It just serves to further upset me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password