Article Score0

I’m closing on my first house next week and i understand that the tax credit for first time home buyers has changed from $ 7500 to $ 8000. Can i receive that money on this years taxes or must i wait till next years filing?

Thanks and wish me luck!

3 Thoughts on First time home buyer with tax credit question?
  1. Reply
    September 1, 2011 at 5:10 am

    When you file for 2009, you did not buy in 2008.

  2. Reply
    September 1, 2011 at 5:42 am

    Yes you can receive it on this years income tax. I’m a first time home buyer closing next month and I was able to get it. Make sure that they fill out the form for the 8k one that you don’t have to pay back the new rule obama past. Some tax preparor may get confused and file for the 7500 one.

  3. Reply
    Veritas et Aequitas ()
    September 1, 2011 at 5:58 am

    1) The sum of the housing credit will be split into two tax returns.
    2) You may not be eligible for the full credit. It depends on your tax liability. So the higher your income, the closer you will be to getting the full credit.
    3) You CAN claim this credit on the 08 tax return (even though you’ve purchased in 09)
    4) You do not have to repay this credit.
    5) You do not have to be a first time home buyer for this credit. You just can not have owned a home at anytime in the past three years that was your principal residence.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password