Article Score0

But I live in Australia. I’m talking about if I need to go to hospital or something and it’s an expensive medical bill? Would it be wise to take our insurance before I leave? Or will it be cheaper over there? Or do I already have it?

Thanks alot,

4 Thoughts on Do I need travel insurance for europe if I’m a UK citizen?
  1. Reply
    Dr. TJ
    December 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

    Yes you need it. Yes you should take it out before you leave.

  2. Reply
    December 10, 2012 at 9:15 pm

    If you’re a UK citizen you should have a European Health Insurance Card, which is basically a replacement for the old E111 Card. This card is free and entitles you to free instant healthcare anywhere in Europe, without insurance.

    You should also get private travel insurance. This covers the extras such as private healthcare, being flown back to your home country after an accident or in an emergency, mountain/sea rescue (see terms), lost or stolen property, etc.

    So yes, get travel insurance.

    I’m unsure whether you’re entitled to the EHIC since you’re living in Oz… Follow this link to apply and check the terms:

  3. Reply
    JOHN G
    December 10, 2012 at 9:18 pm

    If you live outside the EU for 3 years you would be entitled to free treatment anywhere in Europe including the UK..

  4. Reply
    December 10, 2012 at 10:04 pm

    You need to be resident in the UK to be able to take out a UK travel policy. It’s in the small print.

    so you need to get it from Australia.

    Unless you can’t pay for it. it is always an good idea to get travel insurance. You never know what’s gonna happens during the trip

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password