Article Score0

I currently rent a condo in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Last night, while I was taking a nap, the washer machine broke and overflowed. It wasn’t that much water, but enough to make to my neighbor’s apartment (I’m on the second floor).
He knocked on my door today and said some of his electronics aren’t working and he had some wall damages as well.
I never owned anything neither am familiar with flood/home owners insurance at all, I’m sure flood insurance won’t cover, since this wasn’t a natural disaster.
Basically my question are:
Who should be paying for the damages?
Will the association pick any of these costs up?
Will homeowners insurance cover anything?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 Thoughts on Condo Water Damage – FL?
  1. Reply
    Karen B
    November 19, 2011 at 7:10 am

    Probably the owner of the condo you are renting homeowners. Is the washer yours or theirs?

  2. Reply
    November 19, 2011 at 7:13 am

    Your condo or renters policy pays for the damage to your stuff. His condo or renters policy pays for the damage to his stuff.

    You file with the association, but they won’t pick up any coverage for personal property (electronics) – only building damage. And they likely have a hefty deductible, so it’s likely to be under their deductible anyway.

    YOUR renters/homeowners/condo policy only pays your neighbor if you’re negliglent – which you weren’t. They will defend you in court if he sues you – and you’ll win. So no worries there.

    If he went cheap, and didn’t insure himself . . .it’s HIS problem. He’ll try to make it yours, but it’s NOT yours.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password