Article Score0

“Coverage A (Dwelling) applies to the structure you inhabit. This would cover the dwelling, attached structures (such as a garage) and permanently installed property (such as wall-to-wall carpeting).”

“Coverage C (Personal property) applies to the content of the dwelling. There are dollar limits on specific items that you should be aware of because if your property exceeds these amounts, or no amount is specified, you should cover them for an agreed amount.”

I’m getting condo HO insurance quotes from different companies but i dont understand one thing: does HOA master policy cover bathroom vanities, appliances, and kitchen cabinets? If not, then does Coverage A Or Coverage C cover it? Because im not going to insure the condo for dwelling for $ 40k if the HOA master policy is going to cover it, that would be a waste of $ $ $ , right?

3 Thoughts on Condo Homeowner’s Insurance in Fl?
  1. Reply
    June 10, 2011 at 12:23 am

    I just had to increase my condo insurance, so I hope I can help.

    The association should have insurance (master policy) to cover the replacement of the structure. We’re talking four walls and the ceiling/floor. The homeowner of a condo owns from the paint, inward. The association owns the building (however, in our complex, we are also responsible for windows, doors and the garage door)

    You need insurance to replace contents – things that you would take with you when you move and apparently you also need to insure for the fixtures (cabinets, carpeting, paint).

    My insurance company contacted all their condo customers because one had a claim and they found out the hard way that the insurance coverage they had for contents did not cover the kitchen and bathroom fixtures. Fortunately, the increase was not bad … I think it was less than $ 70 per year.

    I suspect you’ll need to ask your association about what coverage their policy includes (carpeting doesn’t sound right but you may have a lucky break there).

    Good luck!

  2. Reply
    June 10, 2011 at 1:05 am

    Most of the time, you have to refer to the condo bylaws to see which parts are the unit owner’s responsibility. But if the cabinets, vanities, and major appliances ARE the unit owners responsiblity, the cabinets, vanities, and any built-ins would be under A, dwelling. C, contents, is only for things that you would, for example, take with you when you move.

    Wallpaper, paint, wall to wall carpet, blinds, lightbulbs, light fixtures, built in refrigerators, stoves, microwaves, etc. are all dwelling.

    Keep in mind, the MASTER policy likely has a deductible of $ 25,000 or even more – so even if there was a problem with YOUR UNIT that would be “covered” by the master policy, it could well be under the deductible – then you go back to the bylaws to see if everyone gets assessed to pay for it, or if you the unit owner are on the hook for it.

    In other words, you need to sit down with an agent, and a copy of your bylaws, so they can go over everything with you, and the two of you can figure out what’s your responsibility.

  3. Reply
    June 10, 2011 at 2:04 am

    Coverage C would cover it. The Association’s Master policy would cover the structure (roof, walls, slab, outside paint, doors and windows if damaged from the outside).

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password