Article Score0

i got my wisdom teeth extracted 8 moths ago for 3000 i stopped maiking payments some legal guy called saying that if i didn’t pay i would have to go to court and get 35% of my checks withdrawed until i payed the whole thing and my public credit record would be ruined for ten years and a sheriff would come to my house and give me the court date is all this true??

4 Thoughts on can you repair your credit after the collections agency ruined it?
  1. Reply
    Calvin C
    June 7, 2012 at 9:52 am

    no one ruined your credit except you until you accept that fact you will never have credit or decent life. As to to how much can be garnished from your check that is up to local state law it could be as low as zero depending on your income. A process server (officer) will deliver summons. Medical bills get far less weight in your CS then other debts

  2. Reply
    June 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

    collection people LIE tell false statements.
    do visit dave to learn from
    others hard/costly life lessons so u do not
    pay them.
    get the money up and go to dentist to pay them
    off . do get written statement of pay off.
    go to dave to learn more.
    If u have bad credit/past due bills
    it will b reported. it will not
    RUIN ur credit – just ding it.
    u can b served , sued and have wages
    garnished. Fix the bill .

  3. Reply
    June 7, 2012 at 10:37 am

    First of all, the collections agency did not ruin your credit. You are the one who stopped making payments. Debts aren’t optional.

    Yes, what he is saying is true. Creditors can sue borrowers who are defaulting on their contract, and can garnish wages.

    What he’s talking about is getting a court judgement against you, and yes, judgements remain on your credit report for 10 years and DO NOT look good. Imagine if you wanted to buy a car, a house, or get any other sort of credit in the next 10 years…. a judgement on your record could prevent this. So, to save yourself a lot of heartache and regret in the future, you need to do something about this NOW.

    What you should do in this situation: Call the company who directly loaned the money/financed the operation. (For example, if it was the dentist’s office that financed you, call the dentists office, not the collection agency.) Sometimes the original lender will be happy to work with you directly (because they will save money not having to pay the collections agency a percentage.) Sometimes the original lender wants nothing to do with it as they’ve already written off the debt as uncollectable.

    It’s best to try to work with the original lender if you can.

    Explain that you don’t want to go to court and would like to work things out. Can you start making regular payments again? Can you make a larger sum payment and then continue to make payments?

    If you do nothing about it, yes, you’ll be taken to court.

  4. Reply
    timothy p
    June 7, 2012 at 10:56 am

    They can sue in small claims court to try to recover your money. With the judgment they may be able to garnish your check depending on state law. The sheriff may bring the papers by your house but many just use certified mail to notify you of a small claims case against you.

    Will any of this happen? It really depends on the collector. You can’t take their word for it because they lie for a living. They may just be making threats and hoping you will pay. If they think they can recover their money, they are more likely to sue.

    Read the fair debt collection practices act to know your rights when dealing with collectors. Do all communications by mail so you will have everything in writing. If you do come to some sort of payment agreement or settlement, don’t pay a dime until you have something in writing in your hand.

    BTW: It is your debt. The person who performed the work for you should get paid just like you expect to be paid for work you do. Be sure the amount is correct and try to come to some sort of agreement (in writing) that you both can live with.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password