Article Score0

My Mom has used my name for all kinds of things, and of course never paid them off. I have a comcast bill that is 800.00 and she’s just getting comcast turned off and switched to DSL, instead of paying it.
So, my question is one: Will that damage my credit?
And 2. If so how can I repair it?
I’m only 19 years old.

4 Thoughts on Can I have good credit if it once is bad?
  1. Reply
    April 19, 2013 at 8:20 pm

    For starters, you will need to contact these companies that appear on your credit history and tell them the truth, which is someone else made these unauthorized charges. Your Mom may get in some trouble, but that’s her problem and she should.

    Then when you get that mess all straightened out you can work on establishing some good credit….but you have a big mess to clean up first it sounds like, and it won’t be easy, but you really need to do it and you need to do it now, other wise they aren’t going to believe the charges were unauthorized.

  2. Reply
    April 19, 2013 at 9:04 pm

    You can either pay the debts or turn your mother in for ID theft. Personally, I recommend sending your mother to jail. She didn’t care that she trashed your credit. She deserves to go to jail.

    Yes, those things will damage your credit. Comcast will turn the acount to a collection agency who will report the debt to the credit bureaus. Derogatory items will age off your credit report 7-1/2 years from the date of first deficiency (default date).

    You should get a copy of your credit report ( to see what is showing on your credit report now. If you have single entry items like medical and utility bills, you can try to negotiate a pay for delete — you pay $ x and they remove the item from your credit. This does not work for multiple entry items like credit cards or installment loans. Collection agencies can only remove what they report. The original creditor’s charge off would remain.

    Send a letter to the collection agency. Specifically say that you are not acknowledging the debt but making the offer to expedite removal from your credit report. Indicate that ID theft is involved but don’t spell out it was a family member. Initially offer about 1/3 as settlement in full. They may make a counter offer but don’t pay more than half.

    Ask that an authorized agent of the collection agency sign and return a copy of your letter indicating acceptance of your offer. When ou get the signed copy, send a money order. Keep the letter and a copy of your payment proof, forever.

    You get the best deals with lump sum offers. Make sure to get any settlement offer in writing before you pay a penny and do not give the collector direct access to your bank account.

    After you have paid off these debts, you should sue your mother for remibursement.

  3. Reply
    Tracy H
    April 19, 2013 at 9:59 pm

    Contact comcast and tell them the situation. They will have to remove it from your credit, one you were probably not of legal age to be in a contractual agreement. $ 800 is not going to put your mother in jail, however, it may make her make good on the $ 800 she owes comcast, regardless you need to get this off your credit.

  4. Reply
    Michael T
    April 19, 2013 at 10:01 pm

    The problem is that most parents that perform identify theft of their children do not stop if there isn’t any consequence. I suspect that you will find that the $ 800 comcast default isn’t the only derogatory entry on your credit report. Pull your credit report at the following site to determine the entries on your credit report.

    You may have to file a police report to get your creditors to remove the derogatory entries from your credit report. The DA may or may not pursue the charges since your mother is a relative but it may be enough to scare your mother to stop the identity theft. If the DA won’t pursue the charges and your mother doesn’t stop, ask the police to visit you mother to try to throw a scare into her.

    Although you can repair your credit over time, it will not do any good if your mother keeps stealing your identity. Some people are in their 50s and still have their identity stolen by their parents.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password