Article Score0

I was enrolled in a debt management program about 3 years ago and paid off 3 credit cards thru the program ~ when I receieved my credit report there is a statement from my creditor saying “payments made thru a financial counseling service” (I know that it was there but I thought it came off when the creditor was paid in full) I have recieved conflicting info regarding when this statement will be removed ~ I have heard that it should have been removed after the program and I have heard that it’ll stay for seven years ~ My question is can I dispute this statement in attempts to get it deleted as being inaccurate info on my credit report because it no longer applies or does it stay on my report

Please anyone with knowledge or experience let me know

Also sample letter as to how I can dispute if possible

5 Thoughts on Can I dispute this on my credit report?
  1. Lisa L
    July 14, 2011 at 2:03 am

    It is true so it stays. It is good you got help & got them paid but this is looked at as one step above a Chapter 13. Sorry, but that is a fact. Stay clean & your scores will increase. Dispute if you wish but I doubt it will do any good.

  2. crazyjester9
    July 14, 2011 at 2:39 am

    That listing is correct, and will in fact stay there 7 years from the delinquency unless 1 of 2 things happen.

    1. You dispute the item and the investigation request is denied.

    2. You send the collection agency a “goodwill” letter asking them to remove the listing.

    No need for a sample letter. Simplet send a certified return receipt letter to all 3 bureaus stating the account is not yours. They will then contact the creditor to verify this information. Best case scenario is that the request is ignored by the creditor and the listing is automatically removed.

    Kat – where do you get this information? It’s all WRONG. Show me one statue or law where it states disputing an accurate report is fraud.

  3. Kat
    July 14, 2011 at 2:50 am

    Knowingly disputing a negative item that is accurate is fraud. Doing this by mail is punishable by imprisonment and fines under federal statute. These can do more damage then good and create a more difficult situation foryourself. If it comes back verified, then it is really dificul to get off. I woudld not recomend you diputing the item.Unfortunately , the only way i know of legally getting it off is through an attorney. I work for a credit attorney but her retainer is $ 799. Since it is only one item you might be able to get a discount or maybe you can find an attorney that can do a legal demand instead of dispute letters like we do. It should come off immediately. Most of our client see a clear report in less than 60 days. Other than that you could try to call the agency that helped you pay off the debt. It will stay on there for seven years from the last payment.

  4. jody s
    July 14, 2011 at 3:46 am

    This is the best thing to do…. call the 3 credit cards, and ask for billing. Then as for a supervisor. Tell them your situation, and how it is a payed, $ 0 balance debt. Be really nice, and hopefully you will get a hold of someone who is willing to help out. Ask them if they would send a letter asking the credit bureaus to DELETE the negative information. And IF they say yes, ask them to send you a letter as well. Or just send you a letter. You can make copies and mail to the bureaus. Or have them e-mail it to you. Once the debt is paid, they usually help. It has worked for me several times. Be sure to keep good records, you may need them in the future. Google free credit letters for sample letters if you need them.

  5. Gertie
    July 14, 2011 at 4:42 am

    you can dispute anything on your credit report even if you know its correct they will either update the info or delete it

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password