Article Score0

I will be travelling to West coast USA this summer for two months and i am very much hoping to rent a car. The only problem with this is my age. I am under 21, and while i have managed to find plenty of companies willing to rent to me, they all require that i provide my own liability insurance. The CDW (collision damage waiver) is not an issue since this is covered by my credit card company.

My home auto-insurance in the UK does not extend Liability over driving a) rental cars or b) the USA.

I understand it is possible to buy either just personal liability insurance or a “non-owners” car insurance policy. The problem with both of these is that i don’t have an address in the USA. Is there any way i can still obtain insurance?

3 Thoughts on Auto insurance for international visitor?
  1. fth106
    November 6, 2011 at 6:30 am

    If anyone will insure you it will be Progressive. Call them–don’t try to do this over the internet. Explain your situation and see if they have a solution. If not, I doubt you will find anyone able to help you.. Good Luck!

  2. Insuranceman
    November 6, 2011 at 7:23 am

    Sure – Progressive will insure ANYTHING for a price – but you will normally have to have a six month policy with them or cancel early (which could cost you more in the long run.)

    You might want to contact a broker in CA for their particular rules and requirements.

    Someone from the Oasis Insurance agencies or perhaps call 909-980-0038 and ask for Sharron. She is knowledgeable in the subject and should be able to assist.

    Good luck and have a good trip!

  3. uncertain
    November 6, 2011 at 7:46 am

    Call enterprise rental car . . . they let my cousin rent a car and he bought an insurance through them. But like you, he was under 21, so he had to pay a few dollar more per day. He is currently residing in Australia.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password