Article Score0

I live in California. 7 months ago, we did a complete kitchen remodel. New cabinets, new wood floor, new appliances, countertops, etc. I just found out today that my dishwasher drain line has been leaking for 7 months. We didnt detect it immediately because the kitchen floor is slightly uneven and the water was pooling towards the back of the wall. Behind my dishwasher and under the floor, it is VERY WET. The drywall is soaked, the floor is saturated and my cabinets are showing signs of water saturation.

My question is….can I file a claim against my homeowners insurance? Im fearful that there is massive water damage behind the walls and that a quick fix will only lead to more repairs down the road.

5 Thoughts on will my homeowners insurance cover water damage due to leaking dishwasher?
  1. Reply
    August 20, 2011 at 3:51 am

    Who did the work and do you really want to claim it?
    I would go after the installer…
    If it was you, don’t claim it unless its Thousands of dollars!

  2. Reply
    Mickey for President!
    August 20, 2011 at 4:33 am

    Call your insurance company and an adjuster will come out and asses the damage. Do it as soon as possible. Good luck.

  3. Reply
    August 20, 2011 at 5:08 am

    The first thing I would do is disconnect the water supply to the dishwasher and get my hands on as many fans as I could and start to dry out the cupboards and the drywall.
    Were the appliances professionally installed? If not then see if there is a section home improvements, because the damage may to your home may not be covered because you did the remodeling of the kitchen yoursslff

  4. Reply
    August 20, 2011 at 5:36 am

    Generally not. Homeowners insurance is there to cover for the sudden and unexpected. When they discover that the damage was caused by an ongoing leak, they will cite ‘maintenance issue’ (regardless of whether or not you noticed what was occurring). If this is a pressure line water leak, you need to contact your remodeler who needs to contact his plumbing sub-contractor. The plumbing sub-contractor should have insurance against workmanship issues. If this was a D-I-Y project, sadly, YOU are that contractor.

  5. Reply
    August 20, 2011 at 6:17 am

    A sudden, accidental water leak is usually covered.

    A long term leak, though, that’s been happening for seven months, very well may NOT be covered. There probably IS massive water damage and rot.

    If you don’t want to read your policy to see if there are limitations on water damage that happens over a period of time, call your agent, and ask, “hypothetically”, if there is going to be water damage if, say, your sister in law had this exact problem at her house.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password