1. Which of the following is correct concerning the Pick a Help
topic feature of Windows Help?
A. It allows you to browse by category.
B. It’s one of only two Help features available in the window.
C. It’s organized like the index of a book.
D. Although it lists Help topics, the feature can’t be used to
access the actual Help information.
2. A computer’s CPU and hard drive are found in the
B. power strip.
C. main peripheral device.
D. system unit.
3. Which of the following is correct concerning the icon that
represents the Windows Recycle Bin?
A. An icon for the Recycle Bin appears on the desktop only
when you delete something.
B. Different icons are used depending on whether or not the
bin is empty.
C. Right-clicking the icon will delete it and erase all its
D. The Recycle Bin icon is located on the taskbar.
4. Nothing is displayed on the monitor as the system boots up. You’ve checked to ensure
that all the power cords are plugged into a working source of electricity. What should
you do next?
A. Call an electrician.
B. Look inside the monitor case for loose or broken wires.
C. Check that all cables between components are securely attached.
D. Ship the monitor back to the manufacturer with a written description of the
5. Two computer users are discussing the features available in the Windows on-screen
calculator. User A says that either the mouse or the numeric keypad on the keyboard
can be used to enter calculations. User B says that double-clicking on the Calculator
title bar will expand the window frame to fill the entire desktop. Who is correct?
A. Only User A is correct.
B. Only User B is correct.
C. Both computer users are correct.
D. Neither computer user is correct.
6. Most computer systems are set up to automatically first check which drive for the
A. The hard disk drive C. The CD-ROM drive
B. The floppy drive D. The network drive
7. The System Tools folder is typically found
A. on the Systems tab in Windows Help.
B. under Settings in the Start menu.
C. on the Windows desktop next to the My Computer icon.
D. nested within the Accessories submenu.
8. Under normal circumstances, you can’t erase or add any information to a
A. formatted floppy. C. CD-ROM.
B. rewritable CD. D. hard disk.
9. The picture that graphically represents the items you use in Windows is called a/an
A. taskbar. C. icon.
B. GUI. D. submenu.
10. In Windows Help, how do you open a topic to reveal the subtopics it contains?
A. Right-click the topic.
B. Select the topic by clicking on it once.
C. Click the title bar button marked with an X.
D. Drag and drop the icon onto the Windows taskbar.
11. The computer mouse is used to
A. store a history of menu choices.
B. operate Windows in the DOS mode.
C. transfer an operating system from one machine to another.
D. control a pointer on the screen.
12. Imagine that you want to add new prices to the text of a menu for a fund-raising
dinner you’ll be hosting. You want to keep the old prices while making the new prices
stand out in bold, red print. Of the following programs, which is the only one that will
let you format these changes to the menu file?
A. WordPad C. Calculator
B. Notepad D. Paint
13. The Windows opening screen is called
B. the desktop.
C. My Computer.
D. the operating system.
14. A bitmap file can be opened with which of the following programs?
A. Windows Paint
D. Disk Cleanup
15. A window frame will expand to fill the entire desktop when you
A. double-click the taskbar.
B. double-click the horizontal scroll bar.
C. click the title bar button marked with two overlapping squares.
D. click the title bar button marked with a single square.
16. When laying out a computer system, the monitor should be placed
A. so its cables are within easy reach.
B. on a high shelf out of the way.
C. at or slightly below eye level.
D. as far from the user as possible to prevent eyestrain.
17. The correct way to shut off the computer is to
A. Click Start, then Shut Down.
B. Push the Power button on the system unit.
C. Click Start, then Run, then type Shut Down.
D. Click Stop.
18. The System tool that rearranges files and unused space on the hard drive so programs
can run faster is
A. Disk Cleanup. C. System Information.
B. Compression Agent. D. Disk Defragmenter.
19. A fused power strip is often used for
A. protection from computer viruses.
B. providing additional outlets for plugging in components.
C. increasing the amount of power provided to a computer.
D. an uninterruptible power supply.
20. To view how much free space is available on your system, you would access _______.
A. Disk Cleanup. C. System Information.
B. Disk Defragmenter. D. Recycle Bin.