Is making $400/week good to live off of for me ?

Home Forums Home Insurance Is making $400/week good to live off of for me ?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  admin 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

admin
    Participant

I’m 18yrs old I asked recent questions on here about other stuff like medical insurance and food stamps and got to thinking and this is what I’m gonna to do I’m gonna be paying a bit here and there for my mom while I live here and making my car payment and insurance and save money up in the bank until I get about $ 2500 saved up make a deposit on a apartment about $ 1000 and then go to second hand store for furniture I need and food to get me started and just go on about paying all my bills and getting food so I can eat while I’m saving extra money up in the bank that I don’t use for bills so it can save up and be like my emergecy fund like say I get in a wreck my insuracne fires up and I don’t have money to pay it cause I’m paying bils and all but then I’m have this money saving up till get me out of trouble so I don’t go in debt you know .
    I’m sorry this is so long but after you guys read this do you think ill be just fine doing this ??

admin
    Keymaster

$ 400 a week is about $ 20K a year. That is very low income. Most professional jobs start out around $ 30K to $ 35K. I’m guessing you do not have a college degree?

You CAN live on $ 20K, but you would need to live very frugally. You should save up some money for deposits and furniture. IN ADDITION you need to save up a cash emergency fund of 3 to 6 month’s expenses. Since you take home about $ 1,200 a month, you would want between $ 4,000 and $ 7,000 in your emergency fund.

I’m really not sure how you could live off $ 20K without a roomate or some other way of sharing expenses. Let’s assume you take home $ 1,200 a month. Let’s assume you find a DIRT CHEAP apartment for $ 500 a month. This leaves you $ 700. Electricity, gas, water, etc. would run you a MINIMUM of $ 100 a month and that assumes you don’t use any A/C. If you have cable, internet, or phone service, that can run you another $ 100 to $ 200 a month. Now you are down to $ 600 or $ 500 dollars. If you eat Ramen noodles and cereal for every single meal, it would still cost you $ 50 to $ 50 a week.

How would you pay for transportation? Clothing? Gifts and holidays? Will you ever date? Eat out? Go to a movie?

If I were you, I would go to school and try to improve myself to where I could get a job paying at least double what you make now.

admin
    Keymaster

There are many budgeting sites online.
    Take a consumer economics course at local community college. Use a budgeting site.
    You are clueless now, but the first step is asking the questions, so that’s a good start.
    Rule of Thumb: You can afford to spend 1/4 of monthly income on housing–that’s $ 400, not more than 1/3 with ALL utilities thrown in. You are smart to plan for an emergency fund, and need one BEFORE you move out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Review are closed.

About Satelec2003

We own a network of content-rich, proprietary websites focused on specific vertical categories, including mortgages, deposits, insurance, credit cards and other personal finance categories. Through this network, as well as co-branded web sites hosted by our network of 90+ online distribution partners, we provide the tools and information via a suite of products and services that can help consumers make better informed financial decisions.