Can I get a mortgage loan? I just found out I have a delinquent student

Tips and Deals Forums Home Mortgage Can I get a mortgage loan? I just found out I have a delinquent student

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Why would we outlaw such things and take the options away from businesses and people.

If you are going to ask such a questions would it not be more logical to outlaw signing an agreement you do not understand.

This mess is not because of the lenders, it is because of the folks that jumped in without understanding what they were doing.

I am trying to sell my house right now and suffering as much as anyone due to the market, but stupid people often get what they deserve. How hard is it to get someone who knows about such things to help you? Not very. So folks saved $ 100 in consultation and lost their homes – let this be a lesson for the person – not a reason to take away our freedoms.

Anonymous

The same reason that anything above 19% interest is no longer considered usury. No one cares, it’s all about the bottom line.

Anonymous

Well, isn’t THIS a lovely rant ? I shall address each of your rants individually. For starters there is nothing wrong with ARM loans, if used properly. They have been around for decades, and make perfect sense for those who know full well that they will sell before the loan interest rate increases.

Your stance on preventing 100% LTV loans is equally silly, given that the value of a piece of real estate is a fluid number.
    “Value” at the time a mortgage is taken is ONLY the best estimate of a professional appraiser, but is not carved in stone anywhere. How do we determine value to enforce such a law ?

There is NOTHING misleading about the foreclosure statistics, since they ARE up drastically over previous periods of measurement. If you think that only four states are involved heavily in foreclosures, think again. I live in conservative Wisconsin, and foreclosures here are up as well. That’s pretty much the situation in MOST states.

During the Texas situation, the foreclosure mess was related to one specific area, that being Texas. While Texas was struggling, most of the rest of the nation was doing quite well. I suppose the banks should have become charities for Texas because one specific industry got into trouble ?

Further, your contention that lack of yard maintenance and rent homes affect real estate values significantly is downright ludicrous. A yard can easily be made tidy and attractive. A failing mortgage can’t.

Any other silly demands that you need addressed ?

Anonymous

They haven’t been made illegal because they are voluntary contracts entered into between two consenting parties who each had time to review or negotiate the contract before it is signed. Nothing illegal has been done and many homeowners who have adjustable rate mortgages were able to pay them off or keep up with the payments.

By far the largest percentages of people facing foreclosure are losing their homes because of a loss in income or medical problems. Less than 5% actually lose their homes because of a payment resetting, although it may contribute if there is another hardship.

Other aspects of creating contracts are illegal, such as disclosing material facts, not using intimidation, not giving contracts to people who can not reasonably enter into them, etc. But when a husband and wife apply for a loan, sign disclosure statements that the rate will increase after 2 years, and state that they understand the terms of the contract, when they have not had the documents reviewed by an attorney or on their own, then problems will come up.

These specific mortgages aren’t the real problem. More is going on in terms of lack of financial education, not understanding how contracts work and how to read them, and simple greed on the part of everyone involved. But anyone who was pressured into getting an ARM or fraudulently induced into a loan should have some legal recourse to have the mortgage nullified and the lender punished.

Just my thoughts on it.
    ForeclosureFish

Anonymous

without adjustable mortgages, millions of people would not have been able to buy their first house, which would have affected the entire ecomony for decades – less home building, less construction jobs, etc

Anonymous

All respect due but.

You are an idiot.

How is it your duty to impose regulations on our market system? ARMs have helped millions of people purchase homes, the current issues going on are market fluxuation. Sure, some people are losing money but it isn’t the job of the banks to inform all of these home buyers that do more research into their family vacations than they did into buying a home.

ARMs exist for a reason and a call from a citizen as ill-informed as you shouldn’t be calling anyone to talk about outlawing them. Read up on free market theory, when you start regulating and outlawing anything that can cause harm to someone who doesn’t do a basic amount of research, society suffers.

That being said, I recently called my senator about outlawing automobiles. Do you know how many people get killed by them every year? An absolute horror and it can be so easily prevented by outlawing all motor vehicles. I’m calling about outlawing planes, trains, and all objects that weigh over 50 lbs tomorrow!

Anonymous

loan, but I can pay it off today.? The seller just accepted my offer on the house!! I’m excited, but a little worred about a possible snag in the mortgage loan process.

A lender prequalified me for a mortgage loan. He said that one of the three credit reports said I was delinquent on a student loan. At that time, I said it must be a mistake. With that information, he prequalified me for the mortgage loan. (My credit scores were approximately 750, 700, and 650. The last one, 650, is the only one that listed my deliquent student loan.)

I looked into it and found out the loan was real, and I hadn’t been paying it for the past four years. (My parents are paying some of my loans, and I’m paying some. I thought the only loans I had left to pay on were with Sallie Mae. So, somehow, my parents and I overlooked this one.) The total is only a couple thousand dollars, so I can pay it off now.

I waiting for my lender to call me back. I’m going to tell him that the loan is real, but I can pay it off today. Will I still be qualified for the mortgage loan?
    Thank you for the responses. They’re very helpful. Yes, now I learned the importance of checking my credit scores BEFORE trying to get a loan.

It’s very reassuring to hear I should be able to get the mortgage loan. I’ll pay off the student loan and show the lender the document.

Anonymous

Fortunately major mortgage lenders do not worship a fico.
    That’s why they look at the reports.
    Just mention to them that you have the money to pay off that loan with no problem.
    But if you pay it now, it will not show up in your reports for 30 days – so it may be useless.
    Also note – paying off does not show up on the fico – it simply shows on your reports.
    But.. remember – lenders look at reports….

Next time you hear of someone buying a house, tell them to check their reports first at
    annualcreditreport.com
    I am extremely dissapointed that no one, including your realtor, told you this.
    No one should ever go home shopping without knowing every line of all 3 reports.
    /

Anonymous

You’re going to have to pay it off and submit proof that it is paid in full to your lender. Just a verbal assurance that’s its been paid won’t be enough.

Anonymous

Yes, you should be. Give them the documentation on the payment, as it might take too long to show up on your credit report.

Anonymous

Pay it off and you should get your mortgage.

Anonymous

One problem with ARM’s is that when people go to buy a new house, they would buy a house that was more than they could afford (due to the “teaser” loan rate). Some of the people selling new houses would use this lower rate to sell more expensive houses, eventually putting many people in a bad situation when the loan rates readjusted. Some new home buyers would trust these home sellers and figure they can afford the house, and they would not be able to afford the payments when the loan rate goes up. ARM’s may have helped people get into homes, but it also is a huge contributor to the collapse of the housing market. If the people who got trapped with the ARM loans would have taken out a fixed rate loan (even if the rate was higher), most of them would still be in their houses. It does come down to the home buyer’s decision to read what they sign, but this loan is a really bad idea for most home buyers.

I looked at houses in 2006 and when I was offered an ARM loan with a lower rate, I was really shocked that people would fall for this. I told the home seller that in a couple of years there will be foreclosures everywhere when the ARM teaser load rate goes up, and sure enough that is exactly what happened. An ARM can work for a person who really understands how it works, but unless you are an absolute financial genius who know the risks of an ARM you need to STAY AWAY FROM THEM !!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Register New Account
Reset Password